1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phillies-Nationals 8/11

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Eksynyt, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Eksynyt

Eksynyt Icon

Feb 8, 2008
    Why is this game in the ESPN window? Anybody have any insight as to why they would voluntarily shut out a ton of people from seeing this game? Why not start it at 10 Pacific like all the other early games?

2. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    So...

Is this a "disaster""

Is this a "joke"?

Is this "mind boggling"?

We need to know !

3. tjguitar

tjguitar Mentor

Aug 23, 2006
    Because that's when the home team wanted to schedule the game. Why does there need to be a reason?

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    What's this have to do with DirecTV?

5. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I dont see it in the guide for Xtra Innings. I do see it on MASN but have doubts that it wont be blacked out.

6. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Why the unmitigated gall of MLB, DirecTV and the Nationals.

Don't they realize the games are only staged for the Out of market viewers and eff all other patrons.

7. milton

milton Cool Member

Mar 12, 2011
    You can mock the OP all you want as it is just a single baseball game and how MLB can do whatever it wants, but this is just another example of MLB being behind the times as it relates to TV. There have been quite a few of these this year (even excluding rain delays).

First, on this specific game, I don't understand why the 5pm window can't work with ESPN's window (8pm-11pm). I guess they want people watching Baseball Tonight.

Also, given today's technology, can't these exclusive windows for out-of-market coverage be "fixed" by just inserting ESPN commercials into the out-of-market feed? This is what NHL Centre Ice used to do in Canada with CBC's Hockey Night in Canada (Saturdays). All games on Saturday nights that weren't CBC would have CBC commercials.

8. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    It is not the actual commercials. It is the program RATINGS that make the money.

But I guess TV is behind the times as it relates to TV.

9. milton

milton Cool Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Ratings drive advertisements, so yes, ratings are where the money is. But these people watching the Nats-Phillies game on an out-of-market package likely wouldn't even be putting a dent in the ratings. But suppose they were having a noticeable effect on advertisers, ESPN could honestly add those ratings to their own game when they set rates.

And you could even have ESPN ads inserted for online MLB.TV viewers, which too, ESPN could get statistics of.

10. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings drive advertisements, so yes, ratings are where the money is. But these people watching the Nats-Phillies game on an out-of-market package likely wouldn't even be putting a dent in the ratings. But suppose they were having a noticeable effect on advertisers, ESPN could honestly add those ratings to their own game when they set rates.

And you could even have ESPN ads inserted for online MLB.TV viewers, which too, ESPN could get statistics of.

The ratings system cannot handle what you are describing. Nor is the game ESPN property. You are talking about a complete overhaul of intellectual property rights that have developed over years just to put on one game.

11. milton

milton Cool Member

Mar 12, 2011
    I don't know how the ratings system couldn't handle it, unless you think there are sampling issues with people watching games on MLB EI. The # of people watching ESPN ads would simply equal ESPN game of the week + MLB EI game. Regarding intellectual property, I'm not sure the ads are an issue as it relates to out-of-market games. Directv could insert all Directv commercials for all MLB EI games (on the MLB EI channels), or not have commercials at all (use wild feeds). (Logistically, Directv wouldn't do this because it would take up more bandwidth to not simply use RSN feeds from channels they already have.)

This isn't just one game. This issue has existed for a long time and could be applied to many situations. As I pointed out, Bell Expressvu dealt with this when NHLCI came to Canada. For example, FOX Saturday baseball games --- if it was technically possible to insert local FOX commercials into the MLBEI feeds of games, you would have no difference between the games (except which game the fan was actually seeing), and the local affiliates shouldn't care then (so long as ad rates are properly adjusted). In Canada, there is this entire issue of simsub, where U.S. feeds of sporting events (including on the actual NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC stations) are subbed with Canadian commercials. Canadians get upset about this on Super Bowl Sunday because they don't see the U.S. ads.

12. milton

milton Cool Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Tonyd79,

Did you know that while MLB.TV may use a YES Network feed, they don't run YES commercials during the breaks. They run MLB.TV commercials. There is no intellectual property issue here with commercials in out-of-market games.

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Actually, they run no commercials at all. However, we are talking about espn and their rights, not MLB's. the reason espn has an exclusive window is for their ratings. Do I think it would have a huge impact on them if their window was not exclusive? No. But they negogiated that deal and that is their property.

14. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I have called both MLB and the Nationals today to give them both a piece of my mind. I basically told them both that it was a dumb decision and asked them if they thought robbing most of the US of seeing Strasburg's complete game shutout was a good decision. Neither really wanted to answer. Told them both as a subscriber of Xtra Innings to see out of market teams, I didnt appreciate it when they made decisions that cut fans out of seeing the games we paid heavily for. Neither side really seemed to care. All the Nationals really had to say was that the decision was made early into the season and MLB was okay with it. What a joke!

15. Mariah2014

Mariah2014 Breaking the mold

Apr 21, 2006
    Somewhere...
    It wasn't that good of a game. It wasn't close at all. Having said that Strasburg did very well. I agree it is stupid, but this is the way the blackout rules have been for a long while now. i always dislike it when games can't be inlcluded in the package that could be because of these blackout windows. It was worse when ESPN had the exclusive Wednesday night window.

16. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    MLB.TV does run commercials during the breaks on some platforms -- I'd been seeing them on my iPhone since at least last season, and they began this year on Apple TV after the All-Star break.

Granted, it's only a couple of commercials airing during some of the breaks, but I'm already very tired of the limited rotation (and the technical difficulties that cause some of the ads to be garbled).

17. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Joshjr,

I wish that game had been televised too, but let me make sure I understand this...

A) You actually made 2 phone calls about this after the fact.

B ) You accused them of robbery.

C) You told them "it was a dumb decision".

D) You told them they make scheduling decisions based not on your needs but rather the needs of the club.

E) Then, you're surprised "neither side really seemed to care."

Is that about right?

18. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    MLB.TV does run commercials during the breaks on some platforms -- I'd been seeing them on my iPhone since at least last season, and they began this year on Apple TV after the All-Star break.

Granted, it's only a couple of commercials airing during some of the breaks, but I'm already very tired of the limited rotation (and the technical difficulties that cause some of the ads to be garbled).

Maybe a test. I have not seen one on iPhone, iPad or roku. Haven't watched a game on any since all star break but plenty before.

19. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I told them that people who pay to watch out of market games find it disturbing when they do not get what they are paying for. It really does not make any sense for the Nationals to lose all those eyes just to have the game on later unless maybe they were hoping it would go late and take away some of the ESPN viewers. What else did they gain & why would MLB allow it in the first place. It would be the same as a team playing a game on Saturday during the FOX window but is not on FOX. Not very smart.

20. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    joshjr,

A ) Do you honestly think the Nats care about losing "all those eyes"? They had over 32,000 - just below their season average - in the ballpark, and in market customers had access to the game on MASN. As did Phillies fans on WPHL.

B ) Do you honestly believe the Nats - or anyone else - must get MLB approval for the start time of every game? If you believe that, then why do the Texas Rangers play a lot of Sunday night games?

For what's it's worth, it appears yesterday's start time was merely a Nats experiment to see if, like Texas, more fans would prefer a later start during the summer heat.