1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philo - competitive very-low-cost cable channel streaming

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by phrelin, Apr 18, 2018.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    On April 5 Cord Cutting News Magazine had a story We tried out the new Philo Streaming Service. Here's what we found. I thought it was interesting but didn't follow up at the time.

Then on April 16 Cnet had a story The cheapest live TV streamer heads to Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and Digital Trends offered Everything to know about Philo, the latest live TV streaming service.

It has been available on Roku since the beginning of the year.

For $16 a month (and there is a free week trial) a Philo subscription gives you A&E, AMC, Animal Planet, AXS TV, BBC America, BBC World News, BET, Cheddar, CMT, Comedy Central, Discovery, DIY Network, Food Network, fyi, GSN, HGTV, History Channel, IFC, Investigation Discovery, Lifetime, Lifetime Movies, MTV, MTV2, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr, OWN, Paramount Network, Science, Sundance TV, TeenNick, TLC, Travel Channel, TV Land, Velocity, VH1, Viceland, and We TV.

If for some reason you want AHC, BET Her, Cooking Channel, Destination America, Discovery Family, Discovery Life, Logo, MTV Live, and Nicktoons you can pay $4 a month more.

In addition to live and on-demand content, the Philo subscription also offers a free unlimited size cloud DVR (with fast forward and rewind), but with a time limit of 30 days similar to PlayStation Vue’s cloud DVR's 28 days. They also include TV Everywhere authentication unlocking the streaming apps for the TV networks included in the subscription (except OWN).

Most of its programming is provided by investor (combined Philo investments total $25 million) channel owners A+E, AMC, Discovery, Scripps, and Viacom. Not involved are the "big five" corporations 21st Century Fox, The Walt Disney Company, NBCUniversal, CBS Corporation, or Time Warner. It reflects the current fact that the cable market is split between the corporate owners of the major broadcast networks and "those guys." Once you decide not to include the "big five" it's amazing what you offer for about the standard price of an HBO subscription.

But that $16 price won't buy access to sports channels or all those 24/7 infotainment news channels or your locals or any of the "big five" cable channels.

As near as I can tell, the only price competitor with a cloud DVR feature is Sling TV at $25.

Philo's history is interesting as it goes back to when it was founded in 2009 by then Harvard seniors Nicholas Krasney and Tuan Ho as a way to circumvent the fact that Harvard did not provide cable TV service for its students. Investors in the company besides the channel owners include among others HBO, Facebook co-founder Andrew McCollum who is CEO, and Mark Cuban.

Rich likes this.
  2. Jul 9, 2018 #2 of 10
    Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    I subscribed to Philo and YouTubeTVw/Starz,so far am very happy with the services and they will save me an estimate $70. a month compared to what my cable TV service would cost me.

3. Jul 9, 2018 #3 of 10
    mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    For those lucky enough to have good ota reception, Philo plus something like HDHomeRun, a NAS drive, and some streaming devices is a fairly cost effective solution.

4. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Sounds like a good combo, until you look at the tve access on youtubetv, which is close to zero (whereas philo is close to 100%). For the money and channels, psvue has a better deal with nearly 100% tve (as opposed to thin coverage on their main competitor directvnow).

5. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    TVE is an interesting concept,with YTTV I have not needed it because I can access all the network offerings from YTTV's guide.
    Where Philo does not have a guide on my Roku,but they do on their website and it's nothing to write home about.
    It would seem that it maybe possible for TVE to create some security issues when you have if I understand it correctly,one key that fits all.

6. Oct 5, 2018 #6 of 10
    Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    Philo has now created a guide for Roku.
    I have the guide now on my Roku Stick + and it's a excellent addition for my $20. Philo subscription on my Roku.

7. Oct 8, 2018 #7 of 10
    onan38

onan38 Legend

Jul 17, 2008
    I just canceled Directv and Uverse internet (Its only 18 meg here tops.) and having Spectrum 200 meg installed tomorrow.I am also looking at Philo and Youtube tv together.I wanted to wait and subscribe after my Spectrum install tomorrow.

8. Oct 9, 2018 #8 of 10
    Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    We have Charter Spectrum cable internet here ,it started out at 60MB/5MB,then they upgraded us to 100MB/10MB for the same price.$64.99-no caps.
    Also have YTTV/wStarz and Philo,so far I am happy with my services because I'm saving $65. a month compare to what cable can offer for TV.
    My wife wanted Hallmark,so I checked and subscribed to The Hallmark Movies Now app for $5.a month when you subscribe using their annual rate.
    The Hallmark Movies Now app has no commercials which is nice.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    onan38 likes this.
  9. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    The first internet streaming TV service(OTT) that offers my favorite cable channels for $5. each per month commercial free,I would say.........sign me up!!!!

But unfortunately the only ones I have found that has that deal are apps.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  10. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...