Phone call from 800-519-1823...why?!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by TheBattman, Mar 12, 2009.

1. TheBattman

TheBattman New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Received an automated call from this number this evening. Automated on the other end - said was a call to confirm installation appointment scheduled for this Saturday. It gave me three options - to confirm, change, or cancel.

My question... WHY? I did not order DirecTV, nor did my wife. Have not, and will not. We have received many offers in the mail, but have NEVER responded to them - they go straight in the trash.

Right now, I am considering turning this over to the my state attorney general's office. This sounds an awful lot like slam-sales that are not only illegal, but have been aggressively pursued in the past.

And lest I forget to mention - we are on the "Do Not Call" list...

And getting someone on the phone at DirecTV to explain how this could happen is pretty much impossible.

2. ladannen

ladannen Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    The number you provided is from Directv confirming an installation.
    It is not a scam, but must be intended for someone else in your area who used you number in error.

3. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    It was obviously a mistake. :eek2:

4. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    You want to call the AG over a wrong number? :rolleyes:

5. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    holy batman, wheres robin.?

6. TheBattman

TheBattman New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Well - considering that scams using similar tactics have been successfully prosecuted...

What really bugs me - I cannot get anyone on the phone. I don't have an account, so it sends me into a cycle of asking for phone numbers/account numbers.

And I am trying to figure out how someone "accidentally" uses my phone number to order service. Now - if someone with a similar number ordered service, and someone along the order chain screwed up and mis-entered a number, then that would be an honest mistake...

But if this was a real call to confirm service, then someone is going to be disappointed when they don't get service installed Saturday. And this could all be simply rectified if I could get someone on the phone at DirecTV. Seems they could look up the number and figure out where the error is and fix it before they have a ticked off customer (who now won't have service connected when promised).

Customer service...

7. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Why threaten with the Attorney General though? That doesn't seem over-the-top to you? It's not that big a deal, Battman, it's an honest mistake (either by DirecTV or the customer who gave the wrong number) and it will work itself out without your legal help.

8. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    well, there is that home depot scam being emailed around.

9. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    If it happens again...you might have a complaint. More than likely it was an accident.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over the fact someone may actually not get an install, it's not your fault.

I doubt DirecTV themsleves even make the call themselves...probably outsourced...don't know for sure tho. i would just ride it out. Calling the AG probably won't get you anywhere anyway.

10. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I would worry,

The same gentlemen who have promised to pay installers have found a way to bypass the installers and screw the customer directly.

Joe

11. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    I stopped reading after the OP's third post.

You need to call DirecTV, ask to speak with Customer Installation Support (when the rep asks for your number tell them your account isnt set up yet, and you want to speak to CIS, NOT SALES0

That is the dept that has the ability to straighten this out for you.

12. Extreme2KEclipse

Extreme2KEclipse Legend

May 28, 2007
    So did you press cancel? If/When you did, did you happen to get routed to a customer service rep?

Ummm, somewhere along the line your number was entered incorrectly?

Since their calling you, I can safely assume that if you call into the regular toll free number and choose the option for new customer you would get routed to someone in a fair amount of time. If needed, provide your telephone # as it apparently is linked to an account somewhere so they can correct it.

13. blmoore

blmoore Legend DBSTalk Club

Dec 23, 2006
    You may want to check your credit report to see if there is anything suspicious.

I've received phone calls from credit card companies and cell phone carriers needing more information to finish processing my application (which I never submitted).

14. thespaceghost

thespaceghost Legend

May 23, 2008
    i can't believe you guys are feeding this guys paranoia. If the OP is that paranoid, he can call CS and give them his SS#. If they do not have his SSN#, then he has absolutely nothing to worry about.

yes, go ahead and call the AG. Put your valuable tax dollars to good use over a misdirected phone call.

15. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Probably just a similar number. For awhile I got a lot of calls from people trying to call a local business in town that was one number different than my home number.

16. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    It seems to me DirecTV would pick up very few new customers by randomly installing systems in their homes.:lol:

If it was something the company could do remotely, it might be easier to believe it was a scam, but not many people are going to go ahead and get the install when they don't want it.

17. Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000 Godfather

Mar 26, 2008
    Then why are you posting a bunch of paranoid jibberish on a board that is specifically for DIRECTV INSTALLATION related questions? If you need help pointing a dish, this is where you go. If you never want DTV, good for you, but tell it somewhere else.

You should be posting on the "I'm bats*t crazy and paranoid" board.

18. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    In the meantime there's some poor customer, at least potential customer, who's waiting for DirecTV to call and schedule their install. I can almost hear that conversation..."You haven't called!"....."Yes we did, you didn't answer."......"No you haven't!"....."Yes we did!".......

19. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Dang, what do you do if a person calls you with a wrong number. Go to their house and break their knee caps? :lol:

20. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Fortunately for the customer who did schedule an installation, there's a second chance that they managed to correctly give their address.