1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phone Connection Message on 625. Again.

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by olguy, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Got Dish in Dec, 2005. It seems like I get the message every month that I need to keep the 625 connected to avoid the fee. Never had the fee. I got the message again this AM and when I checked in the Setup menus the connection is good with no pending dialups. Also, the last connection was 4-04-06.

I guess my question is, is this an automatic reminder? I spoke with CSRs the last 2 times and they didn't seem to know.

Thanks
    Myron

2. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Apr 7, 2006
    We get the same thing all the time and wondering the same thing.

3. klmay65

klmay65 Cool Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Hi there,
    My first post after registering...
    I'm getting a 625 on Saturday, and I heard something about "the fee" from the barely understandable operator that took my order.
    What is this fee for not connecting the phone line? Sounds like a scam to me.

Thanks

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    It's not a scam -
    Dish charges $5/month for each additional tuner/output, HOWEVER, if you have a dual tuner (dual output) reciever AND the phone connection is hooked up, THEN you get the $5 off your bill.

5. klmay65

klmay65 Cool Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Thanks Scooper,
    I understand now.

I was worried that I would not be able to connect the phone line because I use a VOIP. I just got done researching and talking to my provider (SunRocket), and it looks like it should work OK.
    I get the 625 on Saturday, so I'll know then.

Thanks again

6. Crunch

Crunch Cool Member

Apr 4, 2006
    I have SunRocket and the phone connection works just fine. I have a 721 hooked up and I have tested my 625 and it works but I haven't subscribed to D* yet with it so we do not use the 625.

7. klmay65

klmay65 Cool Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Just a quick follow-up after getting the 625 installed last night.

- Had the problem of not having a full Program Guide. Looking through the forum I saw that a "Switch Test" would get it to force a guide update. That worked just great... thanks forum

- Regarding using a VOIP for a phone line. I have Sunrocket and while there probably would not have been a problem if I had done nothing, I contacted Sunrocket and their tech support updated my VOIP "Gizmo" to optimize running modem type equipment on it... Short story long... I have no problems using the VOIP as my phone line with the 625 (as many of you said would be the case).

I have migrated over from using Replay TV for the last 6 years, and my first impression of the 625 (and this forum) has been very positive. There are several postings on the forum with trouble and other horror stories, but dealing with tech gadgets for a long time, I've learned to take such stories as mild warning of "worst case" possibilities.

So now that I am officially using a Dish DVR, I plan to come here often to catch tips from all of you veterans (and even other novices), and to occasionally pipe up with a word or two of wisdom myself.

...and I promise not to be so long winded on my future posts.

8. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    I too used ReplayTV for about 6 years altogether. Panasonic Showstopper for a while and then a ReplayTV 5080 for about 3 years or so. After the 5080, I had a little trouble getting used to the UI on the 625. After 5 months, I still prefer the ReplayTV UI but may get over it LOL. The 5080 has some features that would be nice to have on the 625. But we really enjoy 2 tuners.

Myron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.