1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phone line for Sunday Ticket

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jaxfan, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Jun 1, 2009 #1 of 13
    jaxfan

jaxfan Mentor

Mar 27, 2008
    Due to recent economic conditions, I am thinking about canceling my home phone service with ATT.

To replace it, I was going to have my home phone number ported over to my cell family plan as an extra line (which is only $10/m). I would then use the cell phone with a bluetooth capable home phone.

In doing so, my Directv receivers will lose their phone connection. I remember Directv saying that your receivers always need to be hooked up to a land line to get Sunday Ticket. Is there a way to still get Sunday Ticket without having a land line? My hr21 is connected to the internet, would that work?

Thanks

2. Jun 1, 2009 #2 of 13
    Red Dog

Red Dog Godfather

Aug 3, 2008

I've never had any of my receivers hooked up to a phone line and I have no problems with Sunday Ticket.

3. Jun 1, 2009 #3 of 13
    mstanka

mstanka Legend

Jan 25, 2003
    You no longer need a phone line connected to any of your receivers.

Michael

4. Jun 1, 2009 #4 of 13
    Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Although priorly it was in their terms of service agreement that a phone line was "required"; it has never been enforced.

I've had sunday ticket since day one of the packages release without a phone connection. I also have 10 IRDs so mirroring of services has never been an issue either.

However if you want to continue to have caller ID or remote ppv ordering options still available; you can even with cell service. there are several home phone dock stations which use cell service and allow all your current phone jacks to run as normal; however though cell service. Most connect from your cell to the dock via blue-tooth. so as long as the cell is in the house, you have all curerent home phones operational for incomming and outgoing calls....

5. Jun 1, 2009 #5 of 13
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This is one of those "cow is out of the barn" things. A phone connection is literally required for "mirroring" and sports packages but it doesn't seem to be physically enforced. This doesn't invalidate the agreements, it just makes them weak. When they are enforced, it seems arbitrary or even vindictive.

6. Jun 1, 2009 #6 of 13
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Make no mistake: the phone line requirement language is alive and well in both the Customer Agreement and the terms of sports packages.

7. Jun 3, 2009 #7 of 13
    Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I've been a DirecTv Customer since 1997. Since last season I have not had a home phone line hooked up to any of my 4 receivers because I also did away with my home phone line and I exclusively use Cell Phone Service now. I also subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings, and NCAA Mega March Maddness. Not having a phone line has not affected my service one bit. My DirecTv receivers all pick up every channel just fine. :) That said No. A Phone line is not needed.

8. Jun 3, 2009 #8 of 13
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I have my HR20-100 networked. If you are not gonna have a phone line and want it connected then go ahead and network it and you can still order the PPV's and all the other things the phone line brought to you.

9. Jun 3, 2009 #9 of 13
    ajc68

ajc68 Icon

Jan 23, 2008
    As far as I know, having the Internet hooked up to a receiver is the same as having a phone line connected.

10. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    It's also not being enforced and everyone knows it. All companies have information in their agreements and TOS that are there to protect them but every company out there does not enforce 100% of them unless as needed usually for fraud or legal purposes. So what was the point of posting that?

11. Stevies3

Stevies3 Legend

Jul 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Other than ordering PPV, What is the current benefit of having the phone line hooked up?

12. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Nothing other then caller ID.

FYI that if you connect your receivers to the Internet that takes care of anything the phone line would do (including PPV ordering) other then caller ID of course.

13. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Well I will say this. If DirecTv ever did enforce having a phone line hooked up to the receiver they would lose my 12 plus years of being a customer. I'm not going to shell out $30 more a month just to have a home residential phone line that i won't ever use. I don't order Pay Per Views. I have DirecTv for all my Out of Town Sports.