1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phone Line

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by ratoren, Sep 27, 2010.

1. ratoren

ratoren AllStar

Dec 28, 2005
    Does DishNetwork still require receivers to be connected to a phone line?

I am getting rid of my home phone service, and my receivers (522 & 508) don't take internet connections.

2. domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    nope

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    This question has been asked a lot lately.

Yes, Dish does still have the phone line (or internet) connection requirement. They may or may not charge for it, they may or may not audit you, and they may or may not deactivate unconnected receivers.

But it is still a requirement.

4. dish_n3t

dish_n3t Cool Member

Nov 16, 2008
    It is not a requirement. You may choose to have the phone line connected to have access to Dish's interactive services.

About the charge - If you have been paying a TV2 connection fee(which I guess you aren't because you had the phone line connected all along), you will continue to pay that fee OR if you aren't paying that fee, simply unhook the phone line and you won't have any change in the bill.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Per the published terms of service it is a requirement ... per reports on this forum those who have multiple receivers and disconnected their phone lines HAVE lost service on those receivers. I wish one could speak in absolutes and say everyone who disconnected their phone line lost service (or preferably no one lost service). But enforcement of the rule is not absolute. Selective enforcement doesn't mean that the rule won't be enforced.

The rule remains in the terms of service ... hopefully DISH does not decide to enforce it against you.

6. plasmacat

plasmacat Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    I used to get a warning onscreen if my phone line was disconnected due to various circumstances (line trouble, rewiring, etc.). When I disconnected my phone line permanently a couple of months ago to my 622 after asking the same question on this forum - no warnings appeared.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Some people have gotten away with robbery, but it doesn't mean that it isn't still illegal. They just don't all get caught... and sometimes people get caught and plea bargain OR are let go on a technicality.

Similarly... Dish has a rule in their terms & conditions that we all agree to that says we must have all receivers connected to the same phone line OR now internet connection is supported.

People with 1 or 2 receivers usually don't have a problem being disconnected unless they order PPVs or want Dish Online stuff.

But it is still a requirement even if you get away with not having it for years.

8. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Response to post #6.
    Same here on my 722. My 612 only tells me that I can't access certain advanced features without a phone line.

9. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    With more people dropping their landlines, it is unrealistic now for Dish to have this requirement. It is also unrealistic to think people can connect an ethernet cable unless their receiver happens to be close to the router.

10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Do some checking about wireless USB sticks for the HDDVRs .

There is also the option of using a wireless bridge to the ethernet port, such as a game adapter.

The receivers also have Home Plug network built into them. You would just need an adapter to go from the power outlet into your router.

11. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    It can be connected by Ethernet wireless adapter. (Game adapter.)