1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phone Scam?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dlt4, Jun 11, 2018.

1. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    I received a call yesterday, supposedly from DIRECTV, but I can’t help but think it was a scam. 1-800-531-5000 showed up in caller ID, said that I was eligible for a special offer. The English was bad, but I’m pretty sure he was offering two years at $60/month, plus the premium movie channels. While trying to get an answer about why I was being offered the deal we got cut off. Received another call about an hour later, but it disconnected shortly after I answered.

I’m just curious if anyone else has received a similar call. It sounds like one of those situations where “if it sounds too good to be true............”.

2. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    I got something similar a couple of years ago. They called me on the phone number associated with my vacation home account, knew all the info about the account and offered a deal that was $50 a month or the Ultimate package for 6 months. To get the deal, you had to call them back at a number they provided and pre-pay with an Amazon gift card. They said it was a joint Amazon/DirecTV promotion. When you called the number back, they had the exact DirecTV menu system complete with the tick-tock sounds when you pressed any menu choice. To this date, I still think one of the DTV call centers in India was somehow involved with the scam. They had too much info about my account along with the copy of the IVR system. Plus, this was also an account that had only been open a couple of months before the call.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I hope you changed your password after that.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Call that number since the number is legit and ask them if they called you with an offer. It should be noted in your account if they did.

I had a call a couple of days ago and the caller ID showed the number but not the name. It told me they were AT&T support and that my wireless account will be terminated if I do not call a number they then told me. I did not. I have MetroPCS for the last couple of years now. Never had AT&T wireless.
    Lots and lots of phone scams going on out there in these days.
    The number that showed in the caller ID was indeed the AT&T support number.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    They spoof the numbers. Anyone asking for payment via a gift card is fraud. Period. Ignore it.

jceman and jimmie57 like this.
  6. John R. Metzger

John R. Metzger Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    I received 4 calls today from 855-387-6898 . The call quality was extremely bad and hard to understand but the person on the phone stated he was from DirecTV and that they were upgrading. He instructed me to turn on my TV and I think hold info? -- bad call quality -- for 10 seconds. I didn't do it but he seemed to be interested in my receiver number. He also told me I would lose my TV channels in 7 days unless I gave him the requested information. He did seem to know I was with DirecTV (unless he was just guessing). I feel sure it was some kind of spam but am not able to figure out exactly what he was looking for or what he could do with information from my receiver. By the way, if you call the number, you get a message beginning in Spanish and then asking if you are a DirecTV customer -- sounded much like what you get when you do call DirecTV.

7. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    Had about three more calls since my post. My home phone doesn’t have blocking capability, so I just don’t answer.

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I , just this morning, finished porting my number to my Ooma account. I got this to save money and to get the call blocking feature. To call block you must have the premier package at $9.95 per month and pay the taxes. Mine is about $16.50 total. I plugged in my base phone and the other 3 handsets in the house communicate to it. You might want to look into it.
    I am sick of people trying to trick me and steal my money that I worked hard to earn.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Wolfmanjohn likes this.
  9. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
  10. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    I’ve used Ooma for about five years, but never sprang for the premium package. Might be time to do it if this keeps up.

11. John R. Metzger

John R. Metzger Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    Blocking doesn't really help much because the spammers just keep changing numbers. We get spam calls from local numbers and some of the names and numbers on the caller ID actually exist. A friend answered a call because it had the local hospital name and number on it -- it was spam and somehow the spammer was making it look like it was the hospital. My caller ID recently has begun to show some of the spammers numbers beginning with a "V" on the first screen and a local number on the 2nd page of the called ID. I don't know but maybe the V is an indication of a virtual number using another number????

12. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    We subscribe to the premium package and the call blocking is awesome! During elections we rarely receive robo calls and only a few polling centers slip through. It's not perfect, but the majority of the time it works. I think we pay $99/year for the premium package + the monthly telco taxes.

jimmie57 likes this.
  13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Definitely worth it. This is my 3rd day with it and I just had 1 call so far that was bogus. It was 1 of those that uses the area code and the first 3 numbers like your own and changes the last 4 digits. I added it to my personal Block List.
    What a life changer. I was getting a minimum of 4 calls and up to 7 in a single day. Yeah !
    Update 6-19-2018: Got another one just now. Informing me of a lawsuit filed against me by the IRS. Added to my personal block list.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018