PI Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - SWMLine Discussion (private)' started by bgullicksen, Apr 9, 2008.

1. bgullicksen

bgullicksen Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    Hello Folks,

I think I may have received a defective PI....or I "smoked" it. I was running new wiring and installed some new plywood to mount new AC Power Strip, PI, Splitters, etc. I mounted the PI on the plywood and wanted to make sure it reached my power strip and wanted to make sure it was working ok before starting to connect anything so I powered up the PI with nothing connected to it, not even a cable. As soon as I plugged it in I heard a pop, smelled smoke and a component inside definately fried as now there is a rattling inside the PI and if I plug it back in there is no voltage coming out of the power connector.

Do you think it was just defective or must the PI be connected to the dish before powering up? I don't want to fry the next one if I can get a replacement.

Thanks!

Bill

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    A cap glued to the transformer inside just blew apart [is my guess] as this has happened with a PI in another thread.
    Bad/defective PI. [IMO].

3. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    (King Arthur music or "O Fortuna")

"Oh great Knight, I dub you 'Sir SMOKE the 4th', the 3rd son of 'SMOKE', a legend (in his own mind) known throughout the land for his quiet demeanor, his altruistic and kind-hearted tendencies, his short responses used to raise his post-count, and his ability to fix your transmission".

4. bgullicksen

bgullicksen Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    Thanks VOS. I was hoping I didn't do something wrong. Didn't know if maybe the PI required a load or something.

Thanks for the response.

Bill