Pickpocket Experiences

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Ever have your pocket picked? Or have a related experience? I was watching an episode of Blacklist last night and saw one of the characters bump into someone on the street and pick his pocket for his wallet. How do they do that? I would think it takes a lot of practice to become a competent pickpocket but how do you practice that? The more I thought about this the more I thought it seemed damn near impossible.

Rich

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Times Square on New Year's Eve must be a pickpocket's delight.

3. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I was warned in Melbourne, Australia, 35 years ago not to carry my wallet in my back pocket. Good advice, as I haven't had my pocket picked since (although I hadn't had my pocket picked before then either).

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've been there on that day many times and never had any problems but it must happen in that crowd.

Rich

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The Navy gave us plenty of tips about how to protect ourselves when on liberty in strange places. Surprising amount of information. Learned a lot and I still use some of those suggestions.

Rich

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    How does a pickpocket do what they do? That really puzzles me. Must spend a lot of time practicing on somebody.

Rich

7. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    After the inept pickpocket fumbled all over her body for her wallet, she fished it out of its secret hiding place, took out $5 and gave it to him as a tip.

8. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Every April 15th

Rich likes this.
  9. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    Almost had it happen to me on the subway in Paris. Whenever I'm overseas, especially in Paris, I carry my wallet in my front pocket and my jeans are tight enough that you aren't going to get your hand in there without me noticing. We were headed to the Eiffel Tower when a bunch of teen girls got on the train. One of them came over and asked me for the time. I couldn't say it in French, so I just turned my wrist and showed her my watch. At that point, she pushed up against me with her satchel in front of her and I felt her trying to get her hand in my front pocket. I shoved her back about 10 feet and she and the rest of them quickly got off at the next station.

My dad almost got pick-pocketed outside of Notre Dame. He was getting on a bus and the thief managed to get his wallet out of his pocket. Fortunately for my dad, the guy dropped it on the steps of the bus. Dad stepped on the wallet and the bus driver closed the door before the thief could try to grab it.

I remember taking the train through Belgium and when it pulled into Antwerp, there were big signs on the platform that said beware of pick-pockets.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Rich - as with so many things today, go to YouTube and search for pickpocket. Hundreds of videos.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Got a nice laugh out of that one, thanks.

Rich

WestDC likes this.
  12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Never crossed my mind. I will do that. Thanks. YT never ceases to amaze me.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I spent a lot of time in the Caribbean when I was in the Navy. Any island with a French flavor was considered dangerous and the French Quarters were always restricted areas.

Rich

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You can waste a lot of time there. But you can also learn a lot. I noticed some neighborhood kids the other day trying to fix a chain on a bicycle. They were watching videos on YouTube on how to do it.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Anything I have to do that I'm not sure of, my first stop is YT. Taught me to make damn near perfect hard boiled eggs, how to easily take wallpaper off, how to tie a proper knot in a necktie, how to train a dog...the list goes on and on. After all that I forgot about YT when pickpockets came to mind. Those kids you saw? Those are the smart kids. The intelligent kids. The kids who are more than willing to learn.

Rich

16. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Those are the new kids on the block that learn everything from social media.

When I was kid my dad taught me everything, as his dad taught him everything, and so forth. We didn’t have, or need, no stinking videos. :)

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That has drastically changed. These kids have discovered the fountain of knowledge that is YT. You were lucky by the way, can't remember a damn thing my father taught me.

Rich

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I consider YouTube to be as reputable as Wikipedia for most information. Wikipedia has editors - and while some articles need better editors, one should always look for sources. YouTube usually has comments, but they can be blocked or moderated. In either case, people should verify the instructions found.

19. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Des Moines, IA
    Rule #1 in pickpocketing, Harry never holds!! :)