Picture breakup on Showtime East

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JerryMeeker, Feb 11, 2019 at 7:40 PM.

1. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Every now and then I get the idea that there must be some way to troubleshoot picture quality issues on DirecTV. However, my every effort has produced only frustration, not results.

I record a couple of weekly programs on Showtime. I typically record Showtime East, and over the last several months, the recordings have had a number of glitches, i.e. brief video pixilation lasting a couple of seconds. To work around the issue, I have started scheduling the recordings on Showtime West, which does not have the same issues.

So, my thoughts are that perhaps something is wrong with the Showtime East signal strength. The current TPN_Map_Domestic (dated 7 Feb 2019) shows Showtime East on Sat 99Ca, TPN 18. Viewing the signal strength on this satellite, all transponders are showing 95-96% signal strength, so signal strength doesn't seem to be the issue.

So, what else could be causing the issue?
    - The HR54-700 is less than a year old, and passes the System Test.
    - Repeating Satellite Setup produces no errors.
    - The dish, a RB LNB, was installed less than a year ago along with the HR54.
    - All RG6 coax was installed new last year as well.
    - the length of the coax runs are not excessive.
    - The dish is properly grounded.
    - Inspecting the coax connectors did not reveal any obvious issues.

I pay a monthly maintenance fee for my setup, so I could easily have a DTV technician come out to trouble-shoot the issue, but I am not optimistic this would result in finding anything. It is very difficult to duplicate the issue on-demand.

So, what do I do? Live with the issue?

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Issue could also be the showtime east feed

Your assuming/looking for a problem when your Directv system and it could have nothing to do with them

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I see the same issues with Showtime and several other channels. It's not our equipment. Something is messed up DirecTV's signal on those channels. It's happened before. Seemed like it was fixed for a while, but now it's back again.

Here's a video I posted in late 2017 showing the issue ....

4. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Yes, that is exactly the issue I am seeing. I see it frequently on my local CW HD channel, which has a 100% signal strength indicator on its transponder.

I guess it might be a DTV transmission issue. With Showtime, I have a workaround. With CW, there is no such workaround. Thankfully, it is only a momentary glitch, and not a big chunk of the program missing.

5. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    It's the feed for Showtime East, See litzdog's post

6. videojanitor

videojanitor DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 8, 2006
    I see that problem often, on various channels, including Showtime East. Several instances during “The Circus” this past Sunday. Since I see it on several different receivers that are connected to different dishes, I always assumed it to be a DirecTV issue.

radamo and ericknolls like this.
  7. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    OK, so we have decided it is a problem with the DirecTV signal. Is there anything we can do about it, or do we just live with it?

8. videojanitor

Oct 8, 2006
    We could complain, but with its intermittent nature, it’s hard to believe we’d get anywhere. It’s frequent enough though that I would have to imagine their engineering folks have seen it ...

9. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    The problem is that DIRECTV is doing nothing about it. It is costing them a lot of money changing out our equipment that is not defective. We have a technician sent to resolve the issue then the problem reappears. This is a WASTE of money! This pixelation issue has been going on for a long time. DIRECTV has known about this problem for a long time too. Maybe we should contact topclassactions.com and start a class action lawsuit. They do have good law firms that work with their clients. Sometimes the 771 signal loss comes up with the 775 no dish communication error code. Let's be clear this pixelation is happening on cable and premium channels. And it is happening on many channels including HBO.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 8:33 AM
  10. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    You have had a whole set of separate issues 771 and 775 have nothing to do with the other picture issues

11. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I would contact Showtime... For all we know it is the signal that is being fed to Directv.....

12. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    Let me put it this way compnurd - I pay for a service from DIRECTV like the other customers that are complaining of signal loss and pixelation issues through no fault of their own. When I have a problem with FIOS or ADT - I call customer service then they send a technician for a trouble call. Yes they ask me some general questions. I perform some tasks if I'm knowledgeable. If I don't - they step in and try to fix or RESOLVE the problem. That is what they are PAID to do. I am not a satellite technician. I just pay to watch the service. I have not touched, moved, altered or compromised their equipment. It is in the very same place the tech installed it. Everything is brand new except for the receiver. It is in excellent shape. Thank you for your two cents but it doesn't help this issue that has gotten worse in the last two or three years for me. I will let the other customers speak for themselves. Good day!

13. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Understood but you continually posting about your issues in threads for people who have no issues related whatsoever causes confusion for them

14. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Yes, this has nothing to do with 771 and or 775 iisues which are almost always caused by problems with your own equipment setup. The fact that the techs don't have the knowledge to fix the problem just demonstrates the very poor training these guy get. I bet there are several people posting here who could fix this problem in minutes.

compnurd likes this.
  15. Paul Beauchemin

Paul Beauchemin New Member

Jan 30, 2019
    Like the original post noted, channels on 99ca transponder 18 seem to be where I have primarily noticed this issue as well.
    The issue seems to appear on HGTV 229, TNT 245, SYFI 224, Freeform 311, HBO2 502, and Showtime 545!! I hope this issue is resolved quicker than the issues from last year!!! Anyone have insight if Directv is aware of this current situation? Any tricks or solutions that minimize the pixelation?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 1:03 AM
  16. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Since I started this thread, I have been making a note of where I see the pixilation issues. I have seen it today on Freeform and on Starz. IMO, the issue is pretty widespread across a number of channels, and not limited to Showtime East.

As for Sat 99CA, Tpn 18, Freeform is on that transponder. I don't have any recordings on other channels on this transponder, e.g. SYFY, TNT or HBO2 East.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 9:30 AM
  17. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Has anyone considered recording from Showtime West? I'm going to this weekend because the issue is annoying.

18. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    If you read my initial post, that is exactly what I do.

19. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I skimmed - my bad

20. videojanitor

Oct 8, 2006
    It happened six times tonight (Wednesday) during “Property Brothers” on HGTV (9pm ET on CH 229).