Picture / no picture / picture / no picture.. message

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Tedder, May 19, 2020.

1. Tedder

Tedder New Member

Mar 25, 2020
    I have a Directv H-21 that was connected to 2 televisions.. A older 720p Samsung Plasma TV connected using a component cable connection and a Seiki 32" 720p TV on the patio which was connected to the same receiver using a combination of HDMI to Cat 5 back to HDMI to TV over a 50 ft distance. Everything worked great and the HD picture on both TV's was excellent.. I have recently replaced the Seiki (Patio TV) with a new LG 4K Smart TV. The new LG was connected the same way the Seiki television was, but the Picture flickers on / off at frequent intervals AND sometimes I get the message "Your TV support this program's content protection.Replacing your TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program".. The Samsung TV is already connected to the H21's Component Outputs. THIS WAS NEVER AN ISSUE WAS IN THE PAST... I know the new LG TV is working fine as it was taken inside the house and connected to another DTV Box and worked fine and the H-21 works fine (no flickering or messages) when it was reconnected to the Seiki.. Something has changed but what.. I reset all the H-21 resolutions and it worked fine for a while but then started the flickering again.. There has to be an answer but?? At first I thought the HDMI over Cat 5 section was the problem, but it works fine with the Seiki TV. I am at a loss and looking for any suggestions that might help this issue before I rip everything out and start all over to reduct the number of cables involved.. . Maybe set the DTV H21 to 720 resolution only?? I am lost

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I'm guessing your combination of LG TV + ethernet/HDMI adapter is causing issues with the HDCP copy protection flag, triggering that message. What happens if you connect the LG TV directly via HDMI cable while the Samsung Plasma is also connected via Component Video? Then you can rule out the ethernet/HDMI adapter.

3. Tedder

Tedder New Member

Mar 25, 2020
    Thanks for the reply.. as suggested, I decided to see just where the signal stopped / deteriorated.. There is an 8 ft HDMI cable from the Directv receiver to the CAT FIVE extender connection plate..after a 20 ft CAT FIVE run, there is a wall plate that returns the signal to HDMI... That is where is hooked up the LG TV using a the only HDMI cable I had (25 ft) and everything was perfect.. no messages, no blinking picture for over an hour.. That ruled out the first half of the cable run containing the CAT FIVE extender plates/wiring... After connecting the next section of HDMI cable that went on to the patio, I connected the LG TV to the patio end of the HDMI cable and NO SIGNAL was available at all..(tried all HDMI inputs on TV) ????? it was there earlier (when the TV was giving me the message / blinking picture but nothing now.. Leads me to believe that the HDMI cable was going bad before and me connecting / disconnecting numerous times this afternoon was the final straw.. It Quit.. Time will tell as I ordered a new long HDMI cable and it will be here later this week.. Hopefully it will fix the problem.. will report back either with a smile or frown on my face.. Thanks agin for your response..

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Glad to help. Keep us posted!

5. Tedder

Tedder New Member

Mar 25, 2020
    After reinstalling a new HDMI cable to replace the suspect cable, all worked well for a few minutes and then the blinking started again but no message..It must be some kind of handshake issue because once I turn the LG Patio TV off and on again, all works fine.. Maybe something to do with the Directv H-21?? Bottom line, the on/off work around works until the next day..Thanks for the help.