1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture on SD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Inverno, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Inverno

Inverno Cool Member

Oct 24, 2008
    I have a D12 receiver in my living room hooked up to a SD television. For some reason, a lot of the channels seem to have "artifacts" associated with them and the picture quality is not that good. The Eagles-Giants game on NBC was really bad. Has anyone experienced this? I have the receiver hooked up to 2 tvs and the other one is fine. I've mess with the settings on the TV but to no avail. Any idea what causes this?

2. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    The picture tube may be getting weak, it happens slowly over time so you do not know it until you see a better picture on a differnt set. Also if you are using the tuner on ch 3 or 4 there may be problems there, try the S video if the set has one.

3. Inverno

Inverno Cool Member

Oct 24, 2008
    I'm using S-Video. Possibly it is the TV, although with cable the PQ seemed fine.

4. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    If the D12 is feeding 2 TVs and one has a good picture and the other dosen't, it isn't the receiver. That leaves 2 possible problems the TV and the connecting cables. Try connecting the "bad TV" with coax seeing that is the way cable was connected.

5. Matman

Matman Legend

Mar 24, 2008
    Before I upgraded to HD, I had a decent Sony Trinitron TV hitched up via S-Video. The picture was definitely LESS then good. Upstairs, I have a D12 hitched to a 9 year old RCA tube tv via Coax, picture is actually pretty decent. Its a small TV which helps, (19inch) but there was a NOTICABLE difference in the pic quality. Like the others said, I would try switching connecting cables and seeing if that makes a difference.

6. WB6PWJ

WB6PWJ New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    I just tried out AT&T U-Verse. The SD picture was very much better than Directv but the HD picture was much worse. The whole house DVR was nice.

Since I nearly always watch HD i discontinued U-Verse after six weeks.