1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture problem on HR-34 = New HR-44 today!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by LawHawk, Mar 30, 2013.

1. LawHawk

LawHawk Cool Member

Mar 8, 2013
    So I've had my HR-34 for a few months, and loved it, with just a few problems. Last night I started having a picture problem (orange/peach pixelization). Looked like bad HDMI but I changed the cable to the Blu-Ray and it worked fine, so I called DTV this morning. They came out same day. The repair dude looked at the problem for about thirty seconds and then announced that it was toast and I was getting a new HR-44. Hooray! I didn't ask for it, either on the phone or when the guy arrived. After he said I was getting a 44, I asked if he ran out of 34s or what, and he said that I am in some kind of a test market and they shipped all their 34s back to the factory and now only have 44s.

Other than the new remote, and the UNBELIEVABLY fast speed of the guide/menus, what is new on the HR-44? I haven't found anything really new yet and I can't find any kind of features list. Most of the "reviews" online talk about how it's smaller and the capacity and number of tuners, but don't say anything about what's changed. I obviously have some playing/exploring to do.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It's got wireless built in... that's different.

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
  4. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    It comes with a silly remote and works in IR/RF at the same time.....thats different.

5. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    The new remote uses a new RF encoding that will not work on older irds, so the RF functionality of this remote is limited to HR44 & C41 platforms or above, which is obviously a ways into the future.

6. LawHawk

LawHawk Cool Member

Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks to the link to the First Look.

I like the remote. I always had my old remote on IR because of speed and this one is faster than the old one on IR. not only is the receiver WAY faster, the remote is faster too. And yay, the stupid Active button is gone. I like the rocker switches.

7. ryanh9992

ryanh9992 Cool Member

Jan 4, 2013
    What market are you in?

8. LawHawk

LawHawk Cool Member

Mar 8, 2013
    Central Iowa.