1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture quality, HDMI vs RVU

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Stevies3, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Jun 6, 2013 #1 of 13
    Stevies3

Stevies3 Legend

Jul 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I'm curious, howw does the picture quality compare with HDMI vs RVU? HDMI cable has 19 wires inside for audio & video, RVU using ethernet has 8 wires. Has anyone done a side by side comparison? I'm contemplating dumping my two H24's for the RVU.....

2. Jun 6, 2013 #2 of 13
    lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    If you are using whole home already, no difference videio or audio wise. If you are using an external client it is still an HDMI connection to the monitor. If you are using smart TVs well should be great, I would wonder about how worked out the new technology is with respect to trickplay and other features on the smart TVs but eventually it will be completely transparent in all respects (note it could be that way already on the Sammies I haven't tried one).

Don "can't tell one from the other when viewing programming" Bolton

3. Jun 6, 2013 #3 of 13
    ke3ju

ke3ju Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    Stroudsburg,...
    Actually, regarding Ethernet, you're using all 8 wires only with 1000BaseT, and 4 wires with 100BaseT...

And on top of that, with 100BaseT, 2 are send and the other 2 are receive...

4. Jun 6, 2013 #4 of 13
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    As long as the wire(s) can carry the bit streams, there'd be no difference, unlike analog where number of, guage, and quality of wire can make a difference.

5. Jun 6, 2013 #5 of 13
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    WHen its travelling over the network, its all digital, so as long as the data gets to thte other end, its identical.

6. Jun 6, 2013 #6 of 13
    kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Sounds like there is some confusion..RVU and HDMI are not comparable technologies (ie: not the same thing). In fact, RVU is not even an acronym..just "arggghhhh view" :)

HDMI is a standard for transferring audio and video, with minimum and maximum configs. If memory serves, RVU is a privately created standard for adding a DLNA component to a video/audio stream, from one device to another. In essence, it allows the Genie to stream a signal to another receiver (mini or HD or HDDVR) without violating any of the overly-cumbersome and incredibly draconian copyright or trademark issues.

HDMI can be streamed with or without the RVU component..DirecTV worked with a number of equipment manufacturers to solve a "critical" hurdle to streaming signals..the result is RVU.

-=K=-

7. Jun 6, 2013 #7 of 13
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Sounds like there is some confusion..RVU and HDMI are not comparable technologies (ie: not the same thing). In fact, RVU is not even an acronym..just "arggghhhh view" :)

HDMI is a standard for transferring audio and video, with minimum and maximum configs. If memory serves, RVU is a privately created standard for adding a DLNA component to a video/audio stream, from one device to another. In essence, it allows the Genie to stream a signal to another receiver (mini or HD or HDDVR) without violating any of the overly-cumbersome and incredibly draconian copyright or trademark issues.

HDMI can be streamed with or without the RVU component..DirecTV worked with a number of equipment manufacturers to solve a "critical" hurdle to streaming signals..the result is RVU.

-=K=-

Actually, streaming from the Genie to an HD or HDDVR is not RVU, RVU has to do with "overlaying" the server's GUI on a remote client.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

8. Jun 6, 2013 #8 of 13
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    If you're asking about using DIRECTV C31/C41 RVU clients then Ethernet isn't used at all. DIRECTV RVU clients communicate with the Genie server using coax and DECA, which is their version of MoCA.

9. Jun 6, 2013 #9 of 13
    Stevies3

Stevies3 Legend

Jul 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I'm told to set it up as an RVU device on my Samsung set without a client (C31/41) all I need to do is hardwire it to my ethernet on the same network as the Genie. No coax needed

10. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Sounds right!

Have fun.

11. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    The original point was around picture quality.

12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    There is no reason for any loss of quality solely due to use of RVU, because it is passing around the same compressed (and encrypted) bitstream that is being sent out by the satellite. It can be uncompressed to the exact same bitstream that you're getting on the HDMI output of a Genie.

That's not to say a client or other RVU device might have a worse picture than something else, but if it did, it would have nothing to do with RVU and would instead have to do with the device itself (Genie Client or RVU TV)

HDMI and RVU over ethernet or coax have nothing in common, other than both being ways that video can be transferred from one place to another. HDMI is transferring video after decompression, RVU is transferring it around before decompression. HDMI has short cable length restrictions and generally has trouble reliably exceeding 25 feet without price starting to climb rapidly, standard ethernet can go 100 meters, and coax about half as far (depending on various factors)

13. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    That can work, and some CSR's will just add a client license to the account. Other CSR's will want to force a tech to come out and install a DECA-BB at your TV and not use your home network (which is the 'official' way DIRECTV wants RVU clients to connect). I've tried both ways with my Samsung RVU TV and don't notice any difference between performance between the two (PQ is fine, UI/DVR control speed stinks).

You'll want to also make sure you get the DIRECTV RC71 remote control to make use of the RVU client MUCH easier then trying to use the Samsung remote. If DIRECTV does a DECA-BB install then they should provide it for you then, if not you'll probably have to order it yourself.