1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture Quality of HD Sunday Ticket.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by dreadlk, Sep 13, 2009.

1. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    I am watching the Cowboys game and noticed the HD Picture quality did not seem as good this season as it did last season so I flicked around and all the games looked duller than last year, that Blade of Grass type HD seems a bit blurred, have they lowered the bit rates or something?

Anybody else notice?
    It may be that my TV needs recalibrating but UHD and Smithsonian still look great.

2. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    All look good here on the SF channels. Chiefs/Ravens game looks like crap on my local CBS though.

3. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    All the games I saw looked great. Granted I have never watched a game through ST before but the HD looks good.

4. ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan Icon

May 19, 2003
    It's Fox
    their PQ is even worse than their coverage
    can someone please move ALL sports off that network?

5. shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    Hate to chime in here but Fox looks GREAT in my market, and CBS has the crappy feed. However, most of my Sunday Ticket games look great - some better than others but I suspect because some are in 1080 and some in 720.

6. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    The NFL Sunday Ticket HD channels were direct replacements for the Cinema HD channels, with the exact same bandwidth available.

7. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    All of my HD channels looked great for the 1st week of NFL Sunday Ticket. I'm watching on a Samsung 40 inch and Wow. Big Difference this year from my 32 inch SHARP i watched on last year. The Pictures on all games Even on my Locals looked superb today. I'm currently watching the Redskins @ Giants game right now on my local FOX HD and if the picture looked any better i couldn't stand it.

8. ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan Icon

May 19, 2003
    interesting

to me Fox looks bad even on the distant feed from NY
    while all the CBS HD's I've seen look amazing

IMO 1080I is far better than 720P
    ESPN is 720 and looks kind of yucky too;)

9. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    1080i games look much better to me.

10. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Fox has always had relatively poor PQ. This isn't anything new.

11. scoop8

scoop8 Godfather

Jul 18, 2009
    Dallas TX
    From what I can tell, PQ looks the same as last year's ST. Watching on a Panny 50" 1080p Plasma.

Agree, 1080i looks better to me than 720p.

12. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I have to agree that the Fox games looked much worser than the CBS games, with the exception of the Jags/Colts game - that looked terrible with all the shadows on the field and then the harsh sun. And the field looked gray instead of green to me. Kinda made me miss the RCA Dome. I thought the Broncos/Bengals game looked great (PQ wise that is).

13. REDSKINSFAN47

REDSKINSFAN47 Legend

Sep 2, 2007
    Woodbine,MD
    i too think the fox games looked a little worse on st then last year,eagles game i thought was real bad.dal./tb and washington/nyg looked ok on fox 5 ota.maybe its just me.

14. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Went back and looked at my Local Fox station and I agree, the picture on Fox looks exactly the same as NFLST channels. Very dull and fuzzy HD on everything Fox!

15. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Thanks I am glad to hear that we are not victims of BW rationing

as others have noted, I will chalk this one up to bad PQ by Fox.

16. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    You really remember what last year's games looked like? I can't remember what I did with my keys 5 minutes ago. :D

17. TimGoodwin

TimGoodwin Icon

Jun 29, 2004

Yeah really... I thought all the games looked good. I had no issues with PQ.

18. DFWHD

DFWHD AllStar

Feb 9, 2008
    I think it may have had something to do with the individual camera at the games. I watched the Cowboys - Bucs game and on overhead or distant shots the PQ left a lot to be desired. On close shots, it was just fine. Same thing on the late games, except the Giants - Redskins. All angles seemed to look great.

19. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    I compared the PQ I get OTA with the PQ of the NFLST channels and they were basically identical. The main difference was the sound. The OTA was a touch better but still overall I thought the PQ I got for the NFLST free preview was very good.

20. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Cripes - I remember NFLST back in 1998. It was putrid. What we have today is a football banquet :)