1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture Quality on Locals Down Graded

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Glenee, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Glenee

Glenee Cool Member

Sep 22, 2007
    For years my locals quality was about the same on Antenna or thru Directv Receiver. I could switch back and forth on College Football games and could see very little difference.
    Now when I switch there is significant difference. The OTA is alot better in detail and overall quality.
    I had always heard that the OTA was better, but before it was small if at all from what I could tell.
    This year is very noticeable. Is Directv squeezing some of the data from the signal ?
    It seems most noticeable on College Football Games.

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Maybe your OTA has become better. Do your OTA channels have the same number of subchannels they used to, or maybe had a second HD subchannel that isn't around any more?

For me the opposite is true. A few years ago I used to have far better OTA on a couple channels because they had no subchannels. Now they have three subchannels each, and quality is pretty much indistinguishable between OTA and Directv for them.

Directv is testing a "local channel connector" or LCC, similar to the AM21 they used to offer, but much smaller in the form of a little dongle which will connect to your Genie and an antenna and integrate OTA channels into your guide. When it is out you could always get one and get the better quality on those channels by watching / recording the OTA version of your locals.

3. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    I recently got a 4K TV that is also larger than my previous HD TV, the difference between Dish and OTA was much more noticeable making it worthwhile to watch OTA, it’s still considerable (though not as much) with DTV. The Dish signal didn’t change, but I can’t speak to DTV as I got it after the new TV, has your TV size or quality changed? (Increasing your ability to see the difference)
    Will this work with both HS17 and HR-54? Is there an anticipated release date?

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Right now the LCC docs explicitly state they do NOT work with the HS17, but since the HS17 has a USB port there's nothing stopping them from updating the software down the road to support it - and I would expect that because it makes no sense to introduce new LCC hardware and only support it on older receivers such as the HR54.

There is no way to know when it will be released, all we know is that it is in testing in a couple markets.

bmcleod likes this.
  5. Glenee

Glenee Cool Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Yes all my Tv's have gotten better, 4K Larger and such. So maybe that's it . I just didn't realize how much better over the air was than DTV signal.