Picture Quality Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bob13654, May 2, 2009.

1. May 2, 2009 #1 of 16
    bob13654

bob13654 Mentor

Jul 1, 2006
    I just signed up for D* again, I switched to cable a few years ago because of PQ issues. I have heard the D*'s PQ has really improved, but I was at a friends house tonight and noticed that his HD looked pretty bad. There was, what appeared to be, a lot of compression artifacts in the picture, especially in areas with solid colors. I noticed that things like people's faces would lose detail and get fuzzy. It started to concern me that I made a mistake in ordering D*, but then I noticed that it was also present in the OTA feeds and in the guide menus. This leads me to believe it's one of two things, the TV or the DVR, not D*'s picture. He has a older 720p Toshiba plasma and an HR21. So the question is, could these artifacts be produced by the DVR or is it more likely that the plasma just has a poor picture?

2. May 2, 2009 #2 of 16
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Sounds to me like his TV isn't calibrated properly or it's having another issue.

3. May 2, 2009 #3 of 16
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Gotta be his TV. PQ on DirecTv DVRs here is just as good as the PQ on the actual network feeds from the studio to the affiliates on the big dish HD channels I get. Im using a calibrated 46" Sharp Aquos with HDMI fwiw.

4. May 2, 2009 #4 of 16
    bob13654

bob13654 Mentor

Jul 1, 2006
    Yeah, when it was happening on OTA, the menus and D*'s own feeds I figured it was the TV. It is just a concern because, once installed, I'm stuck for two years or an ETF and, while I am interested in more HD choices over cable, I don't want to trade PQ for quantity.

5. May 2, 2009 #5 of 16
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    You have 24 hours from account activation to make a decision.

6. May 2, 2009 #6 of 16
    mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    If you were seeing it OTA then chances are probable the station is the culprit. Does that particular station multicast? The D* feed will not be any better than the OTA one.

National D* channels have gotten better with the advent of mpeg-4, but they are still not as good as they were before HD Lite.

7. May 2, 2009 #7 of 16
    bob13654

bob13654 Mentor

Jul 1, 2006
    It was every channel I looked at from Fox News to the Weather Channel to the OTA NBC feed and more. All of them had this blocky, flickering kind of noise in solid color areas. It was even viewable in the menu screens, which means it's either the display or the DVR.

I really want FIOS, but it's not in my neighborhood yet and the engineers at Verizon told me that it may be a year or so before it's available. After seeing the D* picture on my friends display, though, I'm considering suffering through cable and waiting for FIOS.

8. May 2, 2009 #8 of 16
    Brandon428

Brandon428 Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2007
    Was his DVR set to 720p or 1080i resolution? It could have been set to 480i or 480p. Directv's HD channels look great to me,they used to be a little better before they had so many and they had ample space on the sats but its really splitting hairs here. Directv's HD quality blows most competition away. The only real competition that can produce a better picture is FiOS.

9. May 2, 2009 #9 of 16
    bob13654

bob13654 Mentor

Jul 1, 2006
    Native.

10. RCY

RCY Godfather

Nov 16, 2005
    Does he have an antenna? A good comparison would be to check the OTA local channels vs. the same channels if he gets HD locals with D*. Use a sporting event with lots of motion and compare the two.

My brother in law has ATT Uverse and while the HD picture is still good, there are definitely more compression artifacts and macroblocking. No matter how many opinions you get here about D*s quality, your own eyes are the only guide that really matters. You're the one paying for the service and have to make the decision on what's good enough.

11. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    It sounds like his TV, BUT be aware Direct TV is having issues with a Birrip issue (see in another thread) that may cause me to leave for Fios if they don't get it resolved SOON.

12. bob13654

bob13654 Mentor

Jul 1, 2006
    After searching, I finally found the term I was looking for....Posterization. The pics I saw when I Googled that word looked just like what I was seeing. So now the question is, is this something that is common with D*, or would that likely be the display?

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Bob, I do not see anything like that on either of my DVR's, even the one hooked up with component cables to a 720p uncalibrated Polaroid 37" look great. If I stand RIGHT IN FRONT of the 46" sharp screen, and look at a dark movie scene, I can see some flickering boxes in the dark shadow areas. Not sure if that is the source, DirecTv, or just the LCD technology. Its not noticable at all from normal viewing distance.

With as many stores as there are selling DirecTv, surely one of them has a demo set up you could check out before your install. I really dont think you are going to be unhappy with the quality of the HD. Ive seen several posts comparing Directv to Fios, and while most reported the Fios SD channels looked better, I havent seen anyone who claimed the HD was lacking on either.

Id also like to try FIOS if it was available, but from all Ive heard about their DVR, and its features/capacity, Im sure Id stick with DirecTv just for the DVR, especially considering the future capabilities being added.

14. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    I have a two yr old 720p LG Plasma and HDDVR. The picture quality is great.

My father and brother stopped by and they both said "it is like looking out the window " about the PQ of the NHL game and the KY Derby.

15. Brandon428

Brandon428 Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2007
    FIOS is better especially if you can get FTTH,but you have to get Tivo dvrs if you want a good experience. The Motorola dvrs are abysmal.

16. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    The PQ on my Philips 720p Plasma HDTV is exceptional, with none of the issues reported by the OP. However, I will say that the live sports I watch on YES, MLB EI and ESPN is head and shoulders better than any movie, series, etc. that are shown on the other HD channels and networks. But even on those channels I have little or no pixelation problems.