1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture quality

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Link, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    Does anyone else think Dish has a better picture quality than Directv? Dish has excellent picture and color quality on even old shows like on TV Land. Directv's picture isn't bad, but it doesn't have the picture that Dish seems to.

2. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    EEK, not another mine is better than yours thread. There have been many, MANY, many threads in the past discussing picture quality. The short answer is that at one time D* will be the PQ poster child, then E* becomes the PQ leader, then they switch back. Truth is, neither D* nor E* is trying to get to top PQ.

Some people like the "look" of D* compression better, while others like the E* compression method. YMMV

And some people in some locations have a cable franchise that blows away DBS, while people in other locations have sucky cable.

Finally, for some reason the posters who are also installers/CSRs/retailers etc always seem to think their company's service is best and all the others suck really bad.

That about fully summarizes the thousands of posts on this subject over the years. ;)

3. DarrellP

DarrellP Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    I don't think Dish even has a "good" picture, I'd hate to see D* if you think E* is better. What size TV are you using? I can't stomach Dish on my 27" let alone on my 110".

4. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    I have had both services; both Dish and Directv and I perfer the picture I get from Dish over Directv. I ran both services side by side last year on different tv inputs and I always though that Dish had the more colorful picture and less pixelation and artifacting over Directv. Directv had a sharper picture on the faces, etc, but the artifacting and pixelation was more prevalent . I think that is why you see more problems on Directv than Dish because they have a sharper picture wich shows all the crap in the back grounds. Dish slightly blurs the resolution of the over all picture wich hides some of the compression and artifacts. Some say Dish has a soft picture. Both are pretty bad on the big screen without some help of a good video processer and both are pretty bad on locals compared to national distant locals.

Over all this is really a story of beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Picture quality is very subjective . Most times, both sat providers are better than cable.

5. bytre

bytre Legend

Sep 10, 2003
    Back when I had both dish and directv (its been a number of years at this point), A/B tests between the two showed better picture on Dish on some channels, and better picture on Direct on some channels. Depends on what you want to watch, and which ones are being compressed more.

They both look bad on my 55" TV.

6. ypsiguy

ypsiguy Icon

Jan 28, 2004
    I found Dish is very respectable on my RCA 36" SD set. However, my Toshiba 36" HD set distinctly accentuates the compression artifacts. Makes sense due to the higher resolution of the set. Was worse on Comcrap digital cable. Overall, I am happy with Dish, they have channels C* won't carry and they offer better programming packages.

7. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    At any given bitrate, assuming fairly equal encoders:

DirecTV will be "sharper"
    DISH will be less pixelated.

This is because DirecTV is higher resolution, but compressed more to get to any given bitrate...

8. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    I have my 501 receiver hooked up to a 31 inch Sanyo TV from Walmart. The picture looks the best on it over any other TV in the house. I also have my 510 hooked up to the Toshiba 55 inch and the bedroom TV is an older 27 inch Zenith. The Sanyo has the best picture and a lot of people comment about how clear it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.