1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture Size

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by bobkeenan, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobkeenan

bobkeenan Cool Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Every now and then on some of the SD cable channels, or I assume they are SD, I do not get a picture that fills the screen. Normally I get the full 16:9 or the 4:3 but in these cases I get something that looks like 16:9 but it only fills about 3/4 of the screen and its centered on my screen with black around the picture. Is that normal or am I missing a setting.

2. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Letterboxed SD commercials. Normal.

3. electronic man

electronic man Cool Member

Mar 6, 2007
    How is your receiver hooked up to your tv, are you using HDMI - > DVI, because if you are and your receivers aspect ratio is set to normal then that will happen. Your tv is doing a auto aspect ratio set, some commercials and programs use different aspect ratios when they broadcast, so this is normal. ;)

4. ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn Icon

Jul 6, 2005
    Exactly, I have the hardest time explaining that to customers.

5. bobkeenan

bobkeenan Cool Member

Nov 9, 2005
    I am HDMI to HDMI. Its a pany 50". Where I see it a lot is on the sci fi channel. Like right now I am watching startrek enterprise and its about 16:9 but it only files 80% of the screen with black all around that.

I looked at a recording of dresen and its 4:3 with black on the left and right borders. I would expect that for most of the SD but this other SD 16:9 stuff that is smaller than the screen is odd??

Almost all of the HD is 16:9 and fills the screen.

6. bruin95

bruin95 Godfather

Apr 23, 2006
    If you were watching that program on a 4:3 set it would be letterboxed with black bars on the top and bottom. Since it's SD, it's framed for 4:3 "widescreen". Since you are watching that program on a 16:9 set, it is what is called "windowboxed". Since it's technically framed for 4:3, the image won't extend to the left and right edges of the screen on 16:9 sets, hence the windowboxing of the black bars on all sides. You can use your TV's zoom modes to fill the screen when watching these broadcasts.

7. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    The 622 has the "zoom" feature and to my experience looks better than using the TV zoom (aspect ratio) feature. On the 622 remote control while in the SAT mode, press the * key (just to the left of the zero) until the desired screen size come up.

See ya
    Tony

8. bruin95

bruin95 Godfather

Apr 23, 2006
    It depends on the TV. The zoom feature on my Toshiba 62MX195 does a much better job than the 622.

9. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    On many HDTVs, when receiving a high definition signal, the TV is locked into 16x9 "full" mode and hence zoom/stretch modes are not available. In such a case, one would *have* to use the 622 if one wanted to zoom.

But yes, those are the choices... Either watch the signal as a "postage stamp" within a larger black frame on all sides, or use zoom. Definitely not a Dish Network or receiver problem.

10. ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn Icon

Jul 6, 2005
    Let's don't forget sometimes you have full width on a 16:9 display but still have bars at the top and bottom. That would be CinemaScope™ 2.35:1 format and Runco is the only one that I'm aware of in the consumer market that will handle that full screen. ;)

http://runco.com/cinewide.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.