1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pillar Box Format

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by -Draino-, May 30, 2010.

1. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Just curious as to why anyone would use Pillar Box Format over Original Screen Format :confused:

2. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Because on some TVs, Original Format displays like stretch.

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Stretched SD is horrible, IMO.

4. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Godfather

Oct 14, 2004
    Northern...
    Pillar box format would be used for 4:3 material. To use the full screen of the new 16:9 tv's you would have to stretch the 4:3 image horizontally, thus distorting the image. I personally would rather have the black bars on the side of native 4:3 content vs distorting the image.

5. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire
    It seems so misleading. I have a local channel (WMUR 9) that is only SD on DTV. I always knew the picture was streched and looked crappy. But when I see "Original Format" if figured that meant....well original format!!!

When I tried pillar box it had huge bars on the sides but the picture in the middle looked good.

So pillar box is for broadcasts that come down 4:3 from the satellite?

6. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    A lot of it just depends on your TV. Original Format sends down the signal just as DirecTV gets it from the broadcaster. This means no processing, letting the TV do all of the conversions. So, different TVs may handle it differently. None of my TVs have done anything but stretch the picture. However, I don't buy high end TVs with high quality video processors.

7. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    To expand a bit.

If you set it the box to pillar box, stretch or crop, the box will output a 16:9 image. Most TVs then will lock out any of it's formationg for pillar box, various levels of zoom, stretch, etc.

Original format does nothing to the image. The TV sees it as is, allowing you to use the tv formatting features.

8. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Have Native OFF, Pillar Box on every HDTV.

Never want SD stretched.

9. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    The only formats I ever use are pillar boxed and cropped for those rare occasions when a 16:9 show is presented letterboxed in a 4:3 frame. (lots of on demand stuff from anime network is like this)

10. cfkane

cfkane AllStar

Mar 14, 2010
    Exactly the way I want it, too Sixto. I am an original aspect ratio stickler and cannot bring myself to watch a 4:3 stretched.

11. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Even the HDNet VOD comes windowboxed :confused:

12. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    My TV stretches SD on Original Format as well, so I always leave it in Pillar Box mode.

It seems strange since to me, the original format of SD programming is always 4:3 (not what the channel is showing, but how it is sent) so I would think Original would be 4:3 on SD channels and 16:9 on HD channels.

As a useless bit of trivia, if you have an HD box on a 4:3 TV like I do in my bedroom, the Format button changes slightly. It offers Letterbox, (reverse) Stretch and Crop. This allows one to show the full 16:9 HD programming letterboxed, or to crop off the ends and fill the screen.

13. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    It is funny to me how commercials often have the pillar box and widescreen format applied at the same time. I often just get a very small widescreen shaped commercial with black all the way around.

14. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Same here.

15. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    On my two sony's in the tv menu screen is set to full.With original format sd is stretched,with pillar box is pillar box.

Most of the time i watch sd it is stretched.But tomorrow it might be the outer way around.

16. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010

Basically, Pillarbox displays the SD channels in 4X3 with your selected chioce of side bar color....Gray or Black are the only options I think. Original format sends only the video signal so the TV decides how it is displayed.

Some TVs will recognize the Aspect Ratio in the SD programs while others will not. If yours does not and you have it set to Original Format, then the SD programs are stretched to a 16:9 image.

On my DVR, I have 'Native Off'', 1080i, and Pillarbox rather than Original. I find this combination gives me excellent results.

17. VeniceDre

VeniceDre Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Native Off, Pillar Box on all my TVs as well... Never watch SD stretched.

18. Rob

Rob Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    Never watch SD stretched. Not for me. If it's stretch by the program provider, I either don't watch it or try to covert it back to 4:3.

19. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    That crap is the reason I still have the SD versions of TBS and TNT in my favorites list, as I cant stand that stretch-o-vision crap they do.

20. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    I was at a friend's house last week and showed him how to set his HR23 to native off and pillar box. He was thrilled. But he said his girlfriend freaked out and told him to tell me to quit messing with her TV. He tried to explain to her that stretch=distorted and bad. She thinks the black bars are worse.

Since it's his TV and his DVR he is keeping it the way I set it and that this is his proverbial "line in the sand".

Well they are not talking right now. And I am happy to say, that it's pretty much all my fault! :lol: