1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pink Floyd Opinion Piece On Royalties and Pandora Radio

Discussion in 'The OT' started by SayWhat?, Jun 25, 2013.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/06/23/pink-floyd-royalties-pandora-column/2447445/

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    So do you agree, disagree, care a lot, a little? Do you have a dog in that fight?

3. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Personally, I think regular radio should pay the same royalty as Pandora et al. It is my understanding regular radio pays nothing. The medium, IMO should be irrelevant.

4. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    raott, your comment is on point.

5. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    This was a big argument back when Sirius and XM were losing money as separate companies. The cabal of "Big Radio" (NAB) wanted them (Sirius & XM) gone so they said that SatRad should pay royalties while terrestrial radio should get off fee-free as they always had because of the 'special relationship' that terrestrial radio had with it's customers.

Of course, they lied about who their customers were. Terrestrial radio's customers are the advertisers. We, our ears, are the products they are selling to those customers.

6. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    It is my understanding that most artists/creators don't own the rights to their own music. Any royalties would go to a record company or the like. Maybe this is changing due to the Internet and artists becoming independent.