Pink screen-771 Searching

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by drpjr, Mar 5, 2017.

1. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    I have a friend who is in an assisted/skilled nursing facility. They just got Directv installed last week. Typical "hospital' type room with built in desk between the foot of both beds. Feed is single wire out of the wall and split to the two TV's.

The issue is one box will work for about twenty minutes then will freeze on any screen not live TV. Live TV continues in PIP. About 5-10 minutes later it tries to reboot sticking on a Searching 771 pink screen. Five -ten more minutes and the box shuts down. The box gets very hot.

My first thought is a defective box overheating and trying to reboot/search until thermally shutting down. I've tried every combo of cables, power supplies and sides of the splitter. The problem always follows the box. The D installer is convinced it's a distribution/cabling issue and I'm never there when he is to hear what he suspects the problem actually is. He's already been back three time with no fix. Any suggestions?

To top it off both TV's are same brand and all remotes work both TV's.

2. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    Pink Screen.jpg Pink Screen

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    So are there two receivers there? What are the model numbers of those receivers?

Since you mention the feed goes to a splitter, I am assuming that this is a SWM system, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Seems like you figured out the problem. Now get the box replaced. I realize you don't "own" the service so that might not be simple.

Rich

5. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    Two receivers. Bad pic of receiver. Facility D Mini.jpg

Swim Splitter. Swim Splitter.jpg

Yeah, the facility has been good about calling for repair but installer will not get past a "wiring" solution. I left a short note for him of my findings which he dismissed outright. Install included about 150 receivers with about a dozen having issues. After several callbacks only 3-4 left with issues and my friend is one of the lucky ones.

Attached Files:

6. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    I made another visit and swapped out the bad box for the neighbors which is now a vacant bed. All is good. Luckily a different installer showed up and I explained the situation. He said no problem he'll switch it out before he leaves. Three minutes later he walks in with a new receiver. Really makes you wonder what was going on with the other guy.

jimmie57 likes this.
  7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Getting an installer who knows what he's doing is a crapshoot at best. Better to come here and ask your questions. Same thing applies to D* "tech support", which is pretty much non-existent. Making that call and expecting a positive result is fruitless.

Rich