1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PIP in 2 rooms?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by 420greg, Aug 22, 2013.

1. 420greg

420greg Cool Member

Sep 23, 2006
    I currently have 2 HR20-700's and I am upgrading to a Genie HR44 and 1 client next friday.

Normally I would put the Genie DVR in the main media closet in the hallway that feeds the living room tv, and
    put the client in my office.

But I want to have the PIP in my office for watching sports. So I am having the Genie DVR put in the office and the client in the living room media closet.

But if the wives notices I am doing PIP and wants to know how to do it in the living room also what do I do?

It does not look like you are allowed to have 2 full Genie's in the same system.

Can I add a 2nd DVR is I have a swm16 and buy it from ebay or solid signal?

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Don't Know if it's possible - But I would suggest you could do is one way - attach a RF-modulator to the Y+R+D leads to one of the HR20's and Run a RG6 to the Office and connect the rg6 to the office TV Cable RG6 input and then Use the office (PIP) in the TV to View the sport channel from the HR20- Also you can set the HR20 to RF and then With a Remote Change the channel from the Office as well.

Or - You could install a D12 in the office and feed it that way ($6) a month.

3. 420greg

420greg Cool Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Neither of my TV's do PIP natively.

4. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    For now, until DirecTV allows 2 or more Genies per account, someone has to give up PIP

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Or you could use a HDMI splitter, or long component cables, etc. so you can get the Genie hooked up to both TVs at the same time. However, that means that both TVs will have the same thing on the screen.

6. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    This won't give you PIP in both rooms, but may help: With recording, say 4 sporting events at once, and watching in the office, I think it's easier and you get more action by FF one, watching the key plays, then switching to another, FF to what you want, and so forth.
    So you can leave the PIP in the main room and Genie client in the office to keep the wife happy.

Just a thought. PIP is, for me, a concept long supplanted by DVRing, and of course, YMMV.

7. 420greg

420greg Cool Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Use double down instead of PIP?

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes;

Though it's called "Double Play" actually ... :)

9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, but that does only two games! (Just kidding; it's fine).

Was going to ask "Want another hit?"

:hurah:

10. 420greg

420greg Cool Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Double down is a better name since it uses the down arrow.

What I would like to do is have the redzone channel on one side and the Jags or Raiders game in the other.

I think I will put the Genie in the office and just try to keep the PIP on the DL from the Mrs.

11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Are these the only two receivers in your house?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app