Pixelation and freezing screens and guide

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by pistolpete52, Jun 23, 2019.

1. pistolpete52

pistolpete52 AllStar

Sep 3, 2010
    Is anyone else getting a lot of pixelation and frozen screen problems? I've called tech support numerous times, and I get the same "it's a known problem that we're working on". But, I've been hearing this same answer since last year. On Friday, I clicked on something that I had recorded from the night before, and it was nothing but pixelation and frozen screen. I clicked on another show with the same results.

2. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Have you checked your signal strength numbers?

compnurd likes this.
  3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yeh that much seems like either low numbers or a failing box

4. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    That’s what tech support or even the customer service representative will tell you over the phone. "It’s a known issue that they’re supposed to be working on" but the pixelation and screen freezing issue has been going on for many people for a long time now. A very long time.

I WANT MORE likes this.
  5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    That is also a sign of a hard drive that is dying. I have had 2 do that in the past 10 years. Run the System test in the Settings Menu. See what it says and post that.
    Which receiver do you have ?

Rich likes this.
  6. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    You may also want to check the Condition of your Outside (rg6) Connectors - and water damaged over time will also have the same effect.

When was the last time you had a service call?

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    How old is the HR you are using? How full is the HDD? First thing I would do is put a new HDD on the HR and see if the problems go away immediately.

Rich

8. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Here we go again!
    It's not your equipment.
    It's not your signal strength.
    It's not any other issue someone can come up with.

It is an issue with DirecTv that they can't/won't fix.
    "Apparently" it is not happening for everyone, but I've experienced on 3 different systems in 3 different states.

9. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Occasional freezes or such might be "common"(although not for me). An entire recording is not. Maybe read his entire post. There are other issues

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    MysteryMan and Rich like this.
  10. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Active Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Well, the 4th tech in the last 4 weeks is coming out tomorrow morning. Last Sunday a tech installed a new c61k and installed a new splitter. Checked the dish and all wiring. The problem was intermittent stuttering of the sound. About once an hour. Hitting pause fixed the problem for awhile. It still is happening. The week before a tech replaced the HS17 because I was experiencing freeze frame for 2 seconds every few hours. The problem persists. Not sure what else they can do but I guess we'll find out tomorrow. The e TV is a 6 month old Samsung 82NU8000 and we tried switching hdmi inputs and cables. The sound is just stuttering away as I type this. Oh, if I switch the c61k for a regular c61 the problem disappears.

11. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Are you outputting pcm or Dolby?

12. Andrew Sullivan

Dec 7, 2017
    At the moment it is set on Dolby but I had it set on Standard earlier then switched it to see if that would make a difference. Unfortunately it did not.

13. Andrew Sullivan

Dec 7, 2017
    Just thought I'd pass on the results of my meeting this morning with the tech. Keep in mind he is the third tech I've had out in the last 5 weeks and he reiterated what the first two said. It's a software issue and nobody at ATT is working on it. He and every tech in this district try to talk customers out of the c61k because whenever a customer has a new service call within 90 days of another techs service call it goes against the original tech. To all that are not experiencing problems with the c61k consider yourselves lucky. His words.

I WANT MORE likes this.
  14. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    WGN 9 looking bad with Pixelation

15. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I think the techs in your area are lazy and are also feeding you crap so you stop calling in tickets

16. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Please.

17. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Just a thought. The thread starter's (pistolpete52) profile states his Digital Provider is Dish Network. Perhaps he posted in the wrong forum?

18. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Now that would be funny. If you look at his post history, however, they are nearly all in the DirecTV section.

19. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    The truth hurts

Rich and MysteryMan like this.
  20. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Granted, but it would really help (as KyL416 suggested awhile back) if people listed their equipment model numbers and current software when posting issues.

I WANT MORE and Athlon646464 like this.