1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixelation, Audio Dropout, and Screen Freeze

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jbhsv, Dec 13, 2011.

1. jbhsv

jbhsv Cool Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Long time reader, first time post.

Seems to happen on HD channels, Discovery, HGTV, NatGeo, All locals just to name a few.

My setup is SWM LNB 2H24's 2HR24's and a broadband deca. I will attach some images with signal strength's and a diagram of my setup as soon as i get my 5 posts. Any help is greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Not sure about the other channels, but NatGeo has a problem and it's in the feed, so there isn't anything on my [your] end to fix.

3. jbhsv

jbhsv Cool Member

Feb 12, 2011
    This seems to happen on all of our local channels too. Every 5 minutes it will freeze up for ~5 seconds.

4. jbhsv

jbhsv Cool Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Also would buying an am21 and antenna be in my best interest?

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If you did get one, you could compare the locals between OTA and the SAT feed.
    I've used mine in two locations and had varying results.
    My first location had my locals feed DirecTV with the same OTA feed, so when I had problems over the SAT, most [not quite all] of the time, these were in the OTA feed.
    At my second location, I have them in my OTA feed, but not in the SAT feed, which suggests my locals are being fed to DirecTV by fiber.

There is a [long] thread here about "some of this": http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=182017

6. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    From your signal strength screens, it doesn't appear that there are any alignment issues there.

1. If you're seeing this at only 1 location, it's likely that the receiver is defective.
    2. If you're seeing this at all locations, you're looking at either a cabling defect (corroded fitting, or damaged cabling) somewhere between the splitter and the LNB. Or, most likely, your SWiM LNB is having issues internally.

7. jbhsv

jbhsv Cool Member

Feb 12, 2011

1. It is happening in all locations.

2. I checked cabling and everything seems to be good. This issue doesn't seem to happen when i setup my rv swm dish so i think i will try and swap that lnb out with the one at home to see if it makes a difference. Wish me luck.

8. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    try just changing the lnb (the knob thing on the end of the arm) see if this corrects the problem, if it does not then you have a problem some place else.

You can also set up your rv dish and use a temp cable to connect to your pi and see if the system works, then reconnect the house dish and change the lnb.

9. jbhsv

jbhsv Cool Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Replaced the LNB with a spare i had off of my dish i use on my RV. Same results. I also tried a factory reset on the DVR's no change. I think this is a worse issue than the normal audio dropout, i.e. when i was watching a program the other night it kept freezing and pixel blur for about 60 seconds straight. Only piece of the puzzle i havent changed is the SWM splitter and the wiring itself.
    What next?
    Could the wiring be bad with the signal strength shown?

10. TAK3210

TAK3210 Legend

Dec 11, 2011
    Seems like you have it narrowed down to the 50-ft run from the dish. How does that look? I had similar problems a couple years ago that ended up being due to a rat gnawing on a section of coax that was behind a small tool locker outside. :eek:

11. jbhsv

jbhsv Cool Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Turns out it looks like it is something with my living room dvr, i guess it only affected shows that were recorded on it. I checked all my cable connections last night and replace one end that was loose. I also had the cable running through my APC UPS (not sure if that had any relation) but i bypassed that and went straight to the reciever.
    Does anyone have their coax running through a UPS for surge protection?

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I think that was your problem. That "protection" is for CATV, which has a much greater need/chance of having voltage on it that it shouldn't.

13. DarkLogix

DarkLogix Godfather

Oct 20, 2011
    Also I'd try a 4way and a 2way instead of an 8way

ie
    dish->4way
    then on the cable going to reciver thats one of the shorter cables or just close to your internet connection put the 2way