Pixelation disappeared after install of SWMLine: Coincidence or added-benefit?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - SWMLine Discussion (private)' started by Hansen, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    I'm not sure if this is related to the SWMLine technology or if it is a mere co-incidence either caused by something unknown or perhaps changing the LNB or messing with the wires. In any event, prior to the install of the SWMLine (installed it in late January), I would get pixelation (the green blocky breaking up kind of stuff and some other) pretty regularly on one HR20-700 on MPEG-4 channels...particularly the HD locals. It had been occuring for as long as I could remember. It would not occur on the other HR20's. I always chalked it up to that particular receiver and never thought much of it. It was a minor annoyance at its worst (at least to me). I had not thought about it until recently and then it struck me that I had not seen any pixelation on that HR20 for a couple months or so...about the same time as I installed the SWMLine lnb. I can't swear it stopped then and there at the moment I installed it but looking back, that's the only thing that changed in quite a few months. That got me thinking about the RG6 feeding that location and I recalled that I had to extend the line to that location and ran out and brought a 25 foot premade run of RG6 and put a basic barrel connnector on it for the splice. The barrel connector is definately not rated to 2.5 ghz; it's a cheapy one I had lying around. I wonder if that barrel connector or cheap pre-made RG6 add-on line was causing my pixelation on the MPEG4 channels and when I went to the SWMLine, which is much more tolerant of out-of-spec cabling, it resolved the issue. In any event, could be an innocent co-incidence or maybe an added benefit of the SWMLine. Either way, pixelation is gone.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Before" I think you were getting your locals through the 1650-2150 MHz "block", which wouldn't like "a barrel" or really any "extra" connector.
    The higher the frequency the more reflection back to the source from every connector. It's just the nature of the beast [RF].

3. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Could have been a dozen different things. Considering the total length of cable, plus the barrel, plus the premade RG6, you could have been right at the fault line for LNB voltage. Or as VOS points out freq range. Or a host of other gremlins.

4. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    I agree that is could have been a dozen things...even could be it has nothing to do with the SWMLine...but the timing is interesting at the very least. I'll probably never know unless I put the old LNB and MS in place and see the pixelation return and then put the SWM lnb back and see if it disappears.