1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixelation Out Of Control On DirecTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by T.C., Jun 7, 2018.

1. Jun 7, 2018 #1 of 67
    T.C.

T.C. Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Detroit, MI
    I'm currently watching the Stanley Cup Final (NHL) Game 5 on NBC (Channel 4 In Detroit). The pixelation is out of control! Hasn't stopped since the broadcast has started! 1 hour straight and it pixelates within every 2-3 minutes. As much as 3 times in one minute.

Also, the NBA Finals on ABC Sports (Channel 7 In Detroit) was doing the same thing last night. What in the hell is going on with this service?

Does anyone have an update or any info? Is DirecTV ever going to correct this issue? Is this 1st Grade (elementary school) engineering? Such a SH#$ company.

2. Jun 7, 2018 #2 of 67
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'm watching the game on my NBC station via DIRECTV; not a single issue.

Do you have any bad weather passing through your area right now? What are your signal strengths? Maybe your dish needs realignment? Do you have other DIRECTV receivers in your house that you can if you have the same problem?

3. Jun 7, 2018 #3 of 67
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Check all the screwed connections in the coax line to see if any of them are loose.

Is it raining between you and the satellite ?

Have you tried to Reset the receiver ? Menu, Settings & Help, Settings, Reset, Restart my Receiver.

Have you ran a system test ? Any errors listed ?
    Menu, Settings & Help, Settings, Info & Test, Run System Test

4. Jun 7, 2018 #4 of 67
    bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Clear picture here in Colorado....local out of Colorado Springs

5. Jun 7, 2018 #5 of 67
    T.C.

T.C. Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Detroit, MI
    Clear sky. No rain. It's on my Genie HR-44

Tuner 1 97%
    Tuner 2 97%
    Tuner 3 97%
    Tuner 4 97%
    Tuner 5 97%

I also get pixelation on my HR-24. My wife watches that Hallmark Channel.... and it was pixelating yesterday.

This has been an ongoing issue since NFL Season September 2017. Everyone has been talking about this in a lot of forums... especially at the AT&T forum. I'm not the only one it's happening to. It seems to be effecting select zip codes and regions.

I will run a system test later.

Resetting the box... or even using "CLEARMYBOX" doesn't really do anything. It will clear it up for about an hour.... and then it happens on select stations.

My signal strength is so good... even when it does rain... my satellite never goes out. Always have a good reception.

6. Jun 7, 2018 #6 of 67
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Is the light on the Power Inserter Green ?

Those numbers are probably on the 101 sat. Change it to 99 ca or cb and 103 ca or cb and see what those are.

7. Jun 7, 2018 #7 of 67
    west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    If the light wasnt green he wouldn't have signal....

8. Jun 7, 2018 #8 of 67
    T.C.

T.C. Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Detroit, MI
    99 (ca)

9-16 87, 91, 88, 91, 88, 92, 89,91
    17-24 90, 92, 89, 92, 89, 92, 89, 93

99 (cb)

1-8 95, 94, 89, 89, 92, 92, 89, 89
    9-16 91, 94, 90, 92, 95, 95

103 (ca)

9-16 95, 95, 95, 92, 94, 91, 93, 94
    17-24 93, 92, 95, 94, 94, 93, 95, 95

103 (cb)

1-8 95, 94, 93, 91, 91, 89, 92, 90
    9-16 91, 87, 91, 88, 91, 86

9. Jun 7, 2018 #9 of 67
    T.C.

T.C. Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Detroit, MI
    The NHL game didn't pixelate once during the 3rd period. Lucky me.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    What are people saying is causing this problem on the AT&T forums? You mentioned your wife had that problem on the Hallmark channel, but you also said it was a 'regional' issue, which might indicate the locals because they are on spot-beams to specific geographic areas.

I'm in Northeast FL and the only time I've experienced any pixilation is when there is a storm system between my dish and the satellites.

11. T.C.

T.C. Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Detroit, MI
    Don't know if I'm allowed to post a youtube clip that shows you exactly what's happening to most subscribers.... but here it is...

Pixelation Problem - Video

AT&T long discussion

Pixelation

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    But they worked in my reply.....

13. T.C.

T.C. Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Detroit, MI
    So basically I get that interference.... or whatever you want to call it "out of nowhere" most of the time. There's a real smart poster in that AT&T thread that knows the ins and outs of it... he claims DirecTV is aware of the situation but they won't tell you why it's happening. Someone said it has to do with encoding. But it only effects certain regions of the United States.

14. T.C.

T.C. Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Detroit, MI
    There are some DirecTV techs that know what's going on as well. They tell the subscriber.... I don't know why we're even out here because nothing I'm going to do today will correct the problem. One home owner had an entire NEW INSTALLATION FREE from DirecTV and the problem was still happening. No one knows the reason? Let me correct myself.... DirecTV knows the reason... they won't release the info.... and they don't have a correction for it.

15. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Since the Stanley Cup was carried on local channels, perhaps there could be something affecting one of the regional uplink centers that deliver the locals to the satellites to be spot beamed down to customers. That's the only possible issue that could affect only "certain regions of the US".

16. DR2420

DR2420 New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Michigan
    Sounds like you live in Michigan. I'm in Michigan as well and I had DIRECTV last year, and it was bad. Same exact issues you are having. It was doing it on our locals, Fox Sports Detroit, NFL Sunday Ticket channels, it was pretty widespread and it kept going on for months. The strange thing as has been mentioned, it doesn't seem to be effecting everyone. I have a friend who lives in TX and he hasn't been having any issues. After months and months of it, I had enough and got rid of DIRECTV. I was hoping by now it would be resolved so I could consider possibly getting it back for the upcoming NFL season. If I were to get it back, it just sounds like I'd be going through the same nonsense I was before. It's weird because we had DIRECTV for some time and it was never an issue until last year or so. I had strong signals and guys coming out here and no change. It didn't fix a thing. Why? Because it's a DIRECTV problem. I can't believe this is still going on, pretty much dictates me not going back anytime soon.

17. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    There was a point a few months back when I saw this randomly on various channels. I haven't seen it at all recently though.

18. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    I have the HR54/C61K. I watched the 1st period of game 5 live on Channel 4 Detroit last night and the rest of the game this morning on the Genie. Didn't see any pixilation. Saw some intermittent slight video stuttering though, which has been the case since day 1 for me with this equipment.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  19. T.C.

T.C. Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Detroit, MI
    Wow! You hit the nail on the head. Fox Sports Detroit is unwatchable as well. In fact... I don't even follow Detroit sports because of it. I get asked when did this all start happening? Around September 2017 I noticed it on select Sunday Ticket Channels... like the CBS and FOX feeds. Then when sometimes DirecTV gives you Free HBO or Showtime for a weekend.... a recorded a few shows... and noticed it was happening on select HBO Channels. HBO Zone HBO 2.

As Steady Teddy mentioned above... I call it "pixelating" but you can also call it whatever you want. Interference... whatever. But, it's not caused by the weather. It's just so damn annoying when you have a great entertainment system set up in your house..... and the audio cuts out as well.

I'm already receiving an extra $30 off my bill a month. Every time a call around July or early August it seems like it's the best time to contact the retention department. I was already on contract last year... (with 1 more year to go) and the DirecTV rep still gave me $30 off a month for 12 straight months and Free Sunday Ticket. I wasn't even pressing either. Lucky I guess? But I pay $57.00 a month for the Entertainment package and I have a Genie and a HR-24. Simple setup. I've just learned to deal with it.... but my contract expires late July... and I haven't decided on what to do? They probably won't keep me at $57.00 a month.

It's a shame though... because if there was perfect picture quality 24/7 I wouldn't have a problem paying $100 a month.

Also back to Steady Teddy about the video stuttering... I believe it has something to do with the "LIVE TV RECORDING" aspect of DirecTV receivers. It always does that on my Genie when watching any type of sports related programming "LIVE". (Watching a simple movie... the video doesn't stutter.) I fix it by hitting the rewind button for about a 3-4 seconds delay (then hit play again.) The video stuttering stops. It's nice and smooth. It's a pain in the a$$ but it corrects the issue.

But the Video Stuttering and my Pixelation issue are 2 separate things. Just making posters aware of that.