Pizza Hut hawks DVDs to sell pizzas

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, Jun 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Just saw commercial for Pizza Hut where you get one of four free DVD movies when you buy a large pizza at the regular price*. What a deal, and it fits right in with my life ambition to become the world's most dedicated couch potato**.

"Mr. Mom"
    "All Dogs go to Heaven 2"
    "Honeymoon in Vegas"
    "Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey"

Yum yum, ha ha!

* Available with dine-in, carry-out or delivery
    ** especially since that pizza download idea didn't work out!

2. music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003
    I want All Dogs go to Heaven 2! :blush:

3. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Is that the modern day equivalent of giving away a licorice pizza with your pizza? (for you youngsters, a 33 1/3 RPM record was sometimes known as a licorice pizza back in the old days :D ).

4. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Far out, Daddio! Ain't histery intersting?

Never heard of that. :rolleyes:

5. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Probably did not cost them very much to distribute these free with a pizza, especially since they ordered them in bulk.

6. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    You obviously aren't old enough. :D

7. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    "I've got stacks of wax for you on a Million Dollar Hot Wax Weekend!"...
    Sorry I couldn't resist...it is the old DJ in me trying to get out!

8. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Pete, I was going to post a comment similar to yours, harking back to to my less-than-brilliant DJ days at WMOG (Wonderful Marshes Of Glynn) on the coast of GA way back in the early 60s. I was a part-time jackleg station engineer and backed into the nighttime DJ slot only because no one else was interested in working all night.

"Stax of wax" (and an ice-cold six pax) got me through the long, lonely night. Off-air calls from equally lonely girls offering to come down to the station were reluctantly fended off with finesse. Delivery pizza* kept warm on the console for a healthy midnight snack left a tantalizing aroma in the booth for "Papa John", the cigar-smoking morning man.

Oh, the stories I could tell about a weird, weird time in my weird, wonderful life. Did I mention "weird"? :D

*A feeble effort to stay on-topic.

9. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Stories? I've got a million...most not appropriate for this board but I'll share one. One night, quite late I heard someone banging at the station door. I was surprised because I was not expecting anyone and the station was located in how shall I say this...an interesting neighborhood. Anyway, I answered the door to find an out of breath fellow, wearing socks but no shoes. I asked him what was wrong and he told me he had been visiting a nearby "lady friend" when her husband arrived home unexpectedly. He ran out the back door, through the woods and across a creek, leaving his shoes and his car behind. He asked if he could rest a bit and borrow the phone, to call a friend who would pick him up. I allowed him in and later had a good laugh at his expense.

10. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    A fun old college radio story. Our station, WMNJ, would sign off at 2AM before starting another "broadcast day" at 6AM. After 2AM, we play the slow Santana riff while the final message plays. We then cut the power on the transmitter and all the radios are left with dead air. Well, I knew that my buddy's roommate had the 12-2AM show the night before my 6AM show on Monday Morning (I was a freshman at the time so I had the rotten slot to pay my dues) and that his roommate would leave their radio on while he fell asleep. It was a small 100 Watt (ooooh) station and we had about 200-1000 listeners maybe on a good day.

Sooooooo, at 6AM I walk into the studio Turn on the transmitter, and oops forget the startup cart and go right to my first song....... off Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon..... Money. With no vocal lead in by me. All you hear is the ticking of the clocks and then ALL THOSE CLOCKS start ringing in the song like it's noon in the Grandfather Clock shop.

The phone rings shortly thereafter and it's my buddy from across the hall.

!rolling

<groggily on the other end of the phone> "That was mean, Rob"

I figured he was the only one who actually heard it as I didn't get any other comments on teh phone lines........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.