1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning on cancelling DirecTV - what can I expect

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by esayre, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Jul 5, 2012 #1 of 35
    esayre

esayre Cool Member

Aug 26, 2006
    I am pretty sure I am going to cancel DirecTV when my contract expires this month. I have been out of the loop for a while so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

I am cancelling because we just don't see the value in keeping it anymore. Money is getting tighter too.

What can I expect from retention?

I currently have Choice Xtra Classic with the sports package, Fox Soccer Channel, HD programming and 4 DVRs.

Will they happily just tell me to have a nice day? I'm ok with that, just looking for input so I am prepared when I call.

2. Jul 5, 2012 #2 of 35
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    They might just say thank you and ask what day you want the cancellation effective for or they might try to give you incentives to stay. There's really no way to predict. If you end up canceling, be sure to have return kits sent for all of your DVRs so that you can return them and not get charged the non-return fee. If you don't have the kits within a week, call back up to check on them.

- Merg

3. Jul 5, 2012 #3 of 35
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If you're planning on cancelling, what do you expect them to do? You expect them to just cut your bill because you don't think its worth it? You can drop some of your programming, you could cut back on a dvr or 2, etc....to help with the monhtly's.

4. Jul 5, 2012 #4 of 35
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    If you're planning on cancelling-You can expect Complete Loss of Signal :D

5. Jul 5, 2012 #5 of 35
    bigmike200587

bigmike200587 Mentor

Oct 24, 2009
    +1

6. Jul 5, 2012 #6 of 35
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I canceled last October and switched to FiOS with 8 months remaining on my contract. DirecTV didn't make any special offers to keep me until a week or so after I canceled.

7. Jul 5, 2012 #7 of 35
    esayre

esayre Cool Member

Aug 26, 2006
    I don't know what to expect which is why I asked the question. I was merely trying to take the temperature of what retention was doing these days.

8. Jul 5, 2012 #8 of 35
    shuye

shuye AllStar

Oct 20, 2008
    Before you call - figure out what you think the value you get is worth. If they give you a $10 per month discount, will that do it? Can you drop programming and / or DVR's to get to the $ amount you are looking for?

I would just call up and tell them that you want to cancel because you are no longer getting a precieved value for the amount you pay each month. They may or may not offer you a discount based on your account and history with them. If they do and it is right for you, great. If not, cancel and see if they offer you something in a week or two to come back to them.

9. Jul 5, 2012 #9 of 35
    cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    As has already been stated, you should go into the conversation with an idea of what you would need to be "retained". They may offer you a $10/month discount, but that might not meet your needs - only you know that.

Also Retention operates under a different set of parameters than the group that will probably try to get you to come back should you actually disconnect. It makes no sense that they would actually let you disconnect and then offer you an even better deal to reconnect, but it can happen that way.

Good luck:)

10. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    Precisely.

If you are ready to cancel, I would advise to suspend your account for six months, then contact it, letting it know that you would like to cancel.

At that point, you have much more leverage as you have demonstrated that you can do without D*.

11. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    What is your problem? The guy respectfully and simply asked what to expect. That's all. He didn't say I demand them to give me something so how do I get it?!

12. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    The first thing you should is cancel the credit card (if any) of yours they have on file. Keeps them from charging those pesky "mistakes" and "computer glitches" on your card.

13. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    Here's what I'd say to you. We were planning on canceling last week. We called up and told them to cancel it and with the $30 of credits on my account I expected them to say ta-ta. I just didn't feel like we could afford what we had anymore even with those credits. Then they started asking what it is we watch. We told them. They suggested dropping to Choice. I always knew it existed but didn't think I'd ever want to drop that far mainly due to losing the NHL Network and WGN. But, decided to do it. The person also gave us another like $30-$35 off the bill, plus a couple months of whole home for free. It's been a week and we don't miss anything we don't have. I noticed I still get Cubs games through EI if I want to watch, even if they are on WGN. Plus, I do plan to order NHL CI and will get NHL Network during the season with that which is the only time I ever watch any of the league specific channels. So, doesn't look like I am really going miss anything. Its possible they may offer you discounts or discounts if you lower your package. Just a thought.

14. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    That new "Entertainment" package is a pretty good deal-much better than anything cable offers around here and a million times better than that worthless "Family" package DirecTV used to peddle for $30.

If the Entertainment package and one receiver are too expensive, it's time you started looking for a good spot on your roof for a new over the air antenna! ;)

15. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    I am also going to call to cancel soon, my question is do we prepay for service? If my bill is due at the end of July, is that for August's watching or is it for the month of July?

16. moghedien

moghedien Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    You prepay for the next month with cable/sat, which is why you usually pay for two months in the beginning...

17. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    Thanks. I should be clear if I cancel before my due date.

18. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010
    If you look at your statement, the columns toward the left show the actual dates of the various services that are covered on that bill.

And, yes, when you pay your bill, you are paying for the upcoming month's service. That is why, if you cancel a service, say HBO, in the middle of your billing cycle, your next statement will include a partial month's credit for the time during that month after you canceled the service. On the other hand, if you add a service during the middle of your billing cycle, your next statement will show both the charge for the upcoming month of that service and a partial month's charge for the part of the previous month when you had the service but had not yet paid for it on that previous month's statement.

19. AMike

AMike Godfather

Nov 21, 2005
    Here's what happened to me last year. When I switched to Comcast last July, I scaled back my D* services significantly. The CSR tried to offer me discounts to stay at my current level, but I told them that I had switched to cable. 6 weeks later, I canceled my service completely. The initial CSR offered discounts for me to stay since I had been with D* for 12 years. Then a few days later, retention called, but they made no offers.

When I dropped Comcast 3 weeks ago to return, they made zero effort to keep me. I took my equipment to the local Comcast store and the CSR there basically cancelled my service no questions asked. Last week, a Comcast retention person called and wanted to know why I cancelled. I explained to her that they had raised the per outlet and HD fees to a ridiculous level that it was no longer worth keeping. She said your new provider has those fees as well, but I told her but your fees are far more costly. She had no reply for that.

So, the long and short of it is, each person will have their own personal experience when they cancel service.

20. esayre

esayre Cool Member

Aug 26, 2006

Thanks for all the input. Kinda looking forward to going without - I have had DirecTV since almost the beginning (1994?), so it will be odd.