1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning to do away with landline

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by SingleAction, Jul 22, 2013.

1. SingleAction

SingleAction Legend

Apr 29, 2005
    I have a VIP 722 currently connected to both my landline and ethernet high speed internet.

I know in the past that Dish charged $5 a month for not having a tel connection, I don't know if that's still the case.

My question is, if I disconnect my landline, will just having the High speed internet satisfy this requirement?

2. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    $5 change for no phone line went away 2 years ago, well, they actually dropped the requirement and charged everybody the $5.

3. SingleAction

SingleAction Legend

Apr 29, 2005
    Thanks Jim for the fast reply. I recently ran cat5 from my router in the den to the living room so I could use the Sling adapter.

Does the internet connection on the 722 do the same thing as the tel line as far as being able to order PPV, etc?

4. SingleAction

SingleAction Legend

Apr 29, 2005
    I dug out the manual and answered my own question!

5. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    FWIW I haved landline. The Landline is the only reason I had phone service during the almost 2 week power outage due to Sandy. It always worked.
    My Brother with only cellular phone service often had a no dial tone situation. He had a good signal and incoming calls came through OK. His and My best guess is that the outgoing circuits were overloaded. One reason for that guess is he could get dial tone after midnight until 6AM or 7AM.
    On the otherhand in a different area others had no problem getting a dial tone on the cell phones. The problem seems hit or miss.

One theory we had for the overload was that with no Power or TV people were spending more time on the phone talking.

The above experience and a prior experience with days of power outage due to storm damage is one reason I plan to keep a landline.

Off Topic: Anyone know of a reliable seller of non smart phones that will work on the Verizon network?

Thanks
    TB

6. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium]I am more than happy to check and see if you’re being charged for the phone connection fee. Would you please PM me with the phone number on the account for further assistance?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Thanks[/SIZE]

7. SingleAction

SingleAction Legend

Apr 29, 2005
    TB,

We bought a pre-paid Verizon, made by Samsung "Gusto 2" flip phone at Walmart for $15.00.

If you already have a Verizon acc, and phone number, I'm sure you could activate this phone by calling customer service.

You made a valid point about having a landline, but it was a waste of almost $30.00 a month for something I never use, except for incoming calls.
    I cut the cord yesterday! I wanted to port my home number to this phone, but they wouldn't let me. I live in the sticks, and Verizon is the only cell service that works here!

8. SingleAction

SingleAction Legend

Apr 29, 2005
    Mike, thanks, but no need as I disconnected the phone yesterday.

I do have the receiver hooked up to my network, and I understand that this serves the same purpose as having the receiver plugged into the phone line.

9. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    Yes, having your receiver connected to the Internet does provide the same services (and more) as the phone line connected to the receiver. Thanks.

10. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Just curious.

Who is your ISP?

I have Verizon for both phone and dsl. Verizon announced [ last May] they won't give you dsl service without their phone service as well. [ No stand alone dsl]

11. SingleAction

SingleAction Legend

Apr 29, 2005
    Sorry I didn't get sooner to you.

My ISP is Time Warner Roadrunner.

12. komondor

komondor Mentor

Jul 23, 2011
    I have OOMA and have been very happy can't beat the price I have the premium service, call blocking, forwarding, caller ID etc it is 99.00/yr plus taxes.

It shows 9.99/mo but I thought if you paid for 1 yr it was 99.00? Either way a good deal to keep a home phone

http://www.ooma.com/legal/rates

Regular OOMA is free you just buy the box.