Play "What's wrong now" with me please!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bon, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Bon

Bon Cool Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I have an SK-3005 Slimline 5 Trav'ler dish with a SWM 8 in my RV. All has been working fine until now. The Winegard controller apparently finds its satellites. The display shows *101 103 *119 after it goes through its seek routine. I'm in the Kansas City area and a clear view of the sky. I checked all four coax cables at the dish and they all have voltage (about 12v and 18v as I recall) to them so they're not open or shorted. I'm running two HR24 receivers.

For 99(CA) I have strong signals on the even transponders but zero on the odd.
    For 99(CB) I have strong signals on the even transponders but zero on the odd.
    For 99(S) I have have zero on all transponders.
    For 103(S) I have strong signals on 58-24 but zero on 1-4.
    For 103(ca) I have strong signals on all transponders.
    For 103(cb) I have strong signals on all transponders.
    For 101 I have a crazy mix of strong signals and zero's but without any pattern.
    For 119 I have strong signals on all transponders.

When I try to run through a setup the receivers simply say "A satellite signal could not be detected. Please check your installation and re-test."

Any and all insights and suggestions are more than welcome.

2. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Tell me, ....

On the 101 signal screen, while ignoring the levels on tps. 4, 12, 18, 20, 26, and 28, for the moment as they're for local spotbeams and normally have assorted level readings.

Do you have zeros on all odd tps. at 101?

Since so far it sounds like the the odd (or 13v) 99/101 line or connectors from the dish is simply bad even though you're reading an open line voltage there.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

3. Bon

Bon Cool Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Thanks for the reply. And, yes, I had a bad skinny coax cable between one of the LNB's and the base of the Trav'ler. The, four, LNB coax cables are tortured every time the Trav'ler is stowed or is seeking satellites. It's amazing that they last as long as they do. I've ordered a replacement set of cables as they're all probably at the end of their useful life.