1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playlist in use error?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by eileen22, Jun 18, 2013.

1. eileen22

eileen22 Godfather

Mar 24, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    I'm new to the Genie and to Whole Home, have had it about a month now. I have one Genie HR34, 3 mini clients, and one HR20-700 with a DECA. For the most part, all is working fine, but I have noticed this issue a few times. While watching the HR34, I open the playlist and see the items from the HR20's playlist. Those items have the red circle next to them, and if select one of those items, I see the message that says the playlist is already in use (or something to that effect). Other times this has happened and there were others in the house that may have been accessing the HR20, but this morning that was not the case. I was the only one in the house, and I saw the red circles on the HR20's recordings, while watching the HR34. This morning when it happened, I had double play in use on the HR34, and was recording a third program. None of the Genie clients were in use. Nothing was recording on the HR20. I went up to the HR20 location, turned it on, brought up the playlist to confirm that it could see the HR34, then turned it off. Went back to the HR34, and now the red circles are gone, and the HR20's playlist is accessible.

I just tried to replicate the issue, by turning on double play and recording a third program, but I didn't get the red circles this time. What gives? Shouldn't I only see those red circles for the HR20 recordings if another receiver is playing one of those recordings? And how does that work exactly? If someone is watching a recording on the HR20 (from the HR20 playlist), can another receiver access any of the HR20's other recordings? Or can only one item from the HR20 be accessed at one time? Even if this is the case, it doesn't explain the issue described above.

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the HR20 can share its playlist with only one "device" at any given time. (device includes, a receiver, DVR, RVU client, and/or GenieGo). a Genie can share its playlist with up to 3 devices

3. jerrylove56

jerrylove56 Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    North Alabama
    Didn't know this, I was wondering why the limitations on number of viewers of recorded materials.

4. eileen22

eileen22 Godfather

Mar 24, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    So I should only see the red circles, denoting that the HR20's playlist is unavailable, if another device was playing one of the HR20's recordings. That wasn't the case today when I saw the red circles. Any idea why this happened? I'm pretty sure that the other times I've seen this happen, there was no device accessing the HR20 playlist either. Today, I am 100% sure that was the case.

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Didn't know this, I was wondering why the limitations on number of viewers of recorded materials.

My take would be the HR2x DVRs don't have the "horse power"

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    So I should only see the red circles, denoting that the HR20's playlist is unavailable, if another device was playing one of the HR20's recordings. That wasn't the case today when I saw the red circles. Any idea why this happened? I'm pretty sure that the other times I've seen this happen, there was no device accessing the HR20 playlist either. Today, I am 100% sure that was the case.

I've seen this happen to my HR23 once or twice. I ruled it out as a glitch

7. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    This happens occasionally with my 3 HR2x's. A reset of the "source" DVR has always fixed the problem. I've always just assumed that a bug occured the previous time that I used that DVR as a server adn somehow the DVR continued to think that it was still serving the previous program.

8. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I have seen this a few times as well. A couple of times it has happened I think my wife had powered off the DVR in the living room while it was in the middle of playing a recording from a DVR in one of the other rooms (she didn't hit stop or exit, etc. just hit the power off button). I thought that maybe when this happens something gets hung up in the DVR that is streaming the show so it thinks it is still streaming to the DVR that got shut off even though it really isn't. I haven't been able to replicate the issue on purpose though.

Like the others said sometimes you can fix it by turning the DVR that has the recordings on and off, other times you might have to actually do a soft restart (or red button restart if that is easier for you).