Playstation Vue - the best streaming alternative to cable/satellite

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by phrelin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Mar 16, 2016 #1 of 138
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'm starting a new thread after the last two posts appeared on the Sling TV Competitors thread indicating that this streaming service has gone national.

First of all, Playstation Vue streaming can not only be viewed on PS4™ and PS3™ console, but on Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, Chromecast and iPad® or iPhone®. Presumably they might allow Roku and Apple TV someday. (For whatever reason Sony dropped the Playstation TV box from their line, though you can still buy one from Amazon for under $50. But you can buy an Amazon Fire TV for under $100.)

But WOW!!!

Here's the full package comparisons for my San Francisco Bay Area DMA from the Playstation Vue website:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of quick questions for those who have used this:

Every reliable review I read seems to indicate you have a sort-of "recording-playback" access with fast forward/rewind but no skip. Can someone tell me how well this works? If it works even just ok for bypassing commercials I may start testing it.

• CBS is trying to get the NFL to ok streaming games live on CBS All Access. Can you stream NFL games live on network channels?
    • How's the connection/stream reliability?
    Incidentally, the earlier thread PlayStation Vue launches live-TV service in three cities offers some discussion.

2. Mar 16, 2016 #2 of 138
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    I can't really comment on CBS since I'm not in a market with locals.

In the few markets where locals are carried, you can get ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, MyNetworkTV and Telemundo, provided that you also have O&O stations of those respective networks. (i.e. in NYC WWOR is owned by Fox so MyNetworkTV is available, but in Philly WPHL is owned by Tribune, so MyNetworkTV is not available)

They use dynamic streaming, so it also works on slower DSL connections. The HD channels just show up as SD widescreen on slower connections.

They also have the following RSNs, but they're only available within their local territory based on your zip code and are not available out of market:
    CSN Bay Area
    CSN Bay Area Plus
    CSN California
    CSN California Plus
    CSN Chicago
    CSN Chicago Plus
    CSN Mid-Atlantic
    CSN Mid-Atlantic Plus
    CSN New England
    CSN Northwest
    CSN Philadelphia
    FSN (the local feeds for your zip code along with a national gameless base feed in select areas)
    TCN Mid-Atlantic
    YES
    YES2

They don't have Altitude, MASN, MSG, MSG Plus, NESN, Root Sports, SNY, Sportstime Ohio, TCN Philadelphia, TWC Sportsnet or Sportsnet LA. No Longhorn or Pac-12 either.

The online listing is for the entire market so they list some extra RSNs that are only available at the extreme edges of a market, but you only receive the ones for your zip code.

You also get access to many of the TV Everywhere apps from Disney, Fox, NBCU, Turner, Discovery, Scripps, Viacom and a few others

3. Mar 16, 2016 #3 of 138
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I'm trying it out on my FireTV. Works OK, UI is not the best I've seen, but it will do.

The 'recording' is kept online for a month. Skipping is hit or miss, some will, some won't. None will do it good enough to not quickly decide it isn't worth the effort!

The pricing you gave is for the original markets that have live locals. They now have 3 'slim' packages for the new markets that don't have live locals for $10 less.

I.e.; I have the Core Slim and it is $34.99 vice the $44.99 you showed. If you go to the site (psvue.com), it will either pick up your location or prompt for you to give it, then it will show the packages/prices available in your market.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

4. Mar 16, 2016 #4 of 138
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Looks promising. Although we only have 1 supported device right now (Amazon Fire Stick). My wife does have an iPad, but the channels not available on iOS would make her kill me if I shifted her off DIRECTV.

When Roku or SmartTVs are supported, this could end up being our TV provider. But my ISP provider with 250GB cap right now, might make this a non-starter.

5. Mar 16, 2016 #5 of 138
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    For many of the channels on PSVue, you can also use the various 'anywhere' apps. It seems the mobile side is still in quite a bit of flux at the moment. I would expect that to get better, but who knows.
    Overall it is an excellent choice for those wanting to cut the cord. Here's a financial comparison. I'm using Dish, but a similar comparison could be made.

Dish : 1 Hopper + Welcome pack = about $34.00 and has almost nothing worth watching though locals are there. Supports one TV as is, more equipment allows for more TVs and of course, more cost.

PSVue :
    Core Slim = $35, supports up to 5 streams, comparable to at least the T200 and is nearly the same as T250 minus Encore channels.

Core = in markets with live locals, $45, and does the above.

One other thing I noticed. Mediacom's Family Cable which is similar in channel lineup is about $45 in the first year on a promo, plus equipment costs.

From a straight up look, PSVue is very competitively priced with anything else and is pretty feature complete.

The notable downside is that if you use it, you will suck up bandwidth and that could push the cost of Internet service up which would make it a little less competitive.

EDIT: Here's something to think about. If you had 5 TVs and bought 5 FireTVs you'd have an upfront cost of about $500 for the FireTVs, FireTV Sticks would be cheaper. But then NO equipment cost, no 'connection' fee, nada, zilch.

6. Mar 16, 2016 #6 of 138
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Hmmm. The more I read the more confusing it gets. This Variety article from two days ago written in straightforward English helps:

Since I haven't subscribed, I don't know what choices I would be offered, but the "Slim" option is not accessible to me on front end of the website. Not that I would use it since OTA isn't an option here. But for those with OTA available, I noticed Amazon offering this bundle of the Fire TV and an OTA antenna:

[​IMG]

7. Mar 16, 2016 #7 of 138
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    If the 'slim' option is not shown for your market, you can't get it. And in those markets that now have 'slim' packages available, when/if they get live locals, they won't be able to keep the 'slim' package from what I've read.

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk

8. Mar 16, 2016 #8 of 138
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'm seeking clarity.

Internet streaming using fast forward is always awkward. Is that what you're describing?

The feeling I'm getting is the broadcast networks love this because basically you have to watch commercials.

I notice that A&E and its related History and Lifetime channels are missing, though I don't care. What's really puzzling for me is the missing BBC America which is now handled by AMC. It doesn't matter much as I can get enough Brit, Australian, New Zealand, Irish, and Canadian programming from PBS and Amazon Prime for free and Acorn TV for less than $5 a month. Plus there's some on Hulu and Netflix.

All this is still speculative for me as I'm committed to Dish for another year. But if I could back down to the Dish Smart Pack package at $36.99 instead of the AT120 package at $64.99 I could save $28 which I could apply towards that $39.99 initial subscriber fee allowing me to experiment.

Money isn't the issue for me, instead it's redwood trees. What I'm looking at is this based on today's prices:

[​IMG]

Assuming I could live with the Vue FF (which is a pretty big assumption), I'd save roughly $30 a month until Comcast started charging me additional usage which could happen as soon as sometime this year and Vue and other pricing went up. On the other hand Dish could become more competitive by lowering their equipment related prices.

It will be interesting to see what impact the competition will have, nonetheless.

9. Mar 16, 2016 #9 of 138
    Jim148

Jim148 Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    I just dumped DISH Network a few weeks ago and sent the 722k receiver back, via UPS, last night. Since the UPS store is close to a Best Buy, I drove right there and bought an Amazon Fire TV box. It was suggested to me that a device with ethernet might be better that wifi only. Anyway, set this up and I have it on how. So, it is a bit too early for me to answer many questions yet.

I am looking to connect it to my SlingBox PRO HD. I want to get an HDMI splitter that splits it to HDMI out AND component out.

10. Mar 16, 2016 #10 of 138
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Sony signed their deals before AMC Networks got control of BBC America and BBC World News in late 2014

11. Mar 17, 2016 #11 of 138
    nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    Well, this is not available fro Android devices:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/03/15/playstation-video-app-launches-on-android-devices-today/

This is not updated on their web site.

$50, and it is very tempting. Add Pluto, which is a free app (about 100 channels of its own), and this could be a nice set up. I already have OTA, so locals are solved. I would pay $5 more if they included the rest of EPIX and the Encore channels.

Did not see Root Sports Rocky Mountain or Altitude, but I guess they will come eventually with the Denver roll out.

The channels they offer, I usually watch. Sony did a good job of determining channels selection.

Just curious, are the channels in HD?

12. Mar 17, 2016 #12 of 138
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Where are you seeing the YES network? I've looked at the links and I don't see it. Do you know and can you explain how the RSNs work?

I'm not sure this is something that would interest us, but it is interesting and if I can get YES that would satisfy me. I also don't understand this: I like to binge watch series and from what I've read that might not be possible. At least it seems someone is heading in the right direction. I'd be thrilled with an IP that uses cloud storage for binging and has YES. I already have 3 FTV boxes.

Rich

13. Mar 17, 2016 #13 of 138
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Yes, provided you have a connection fast enough to support HD streaming, otherwise those channels show up as SD widescreen.

Everything is HD except for the following channels which are either SD only or they don't carry the HD feed:
    BET Gospel
    BET Jams
    BET Soul
    Boomerang
    Centric
    Chiller
    Cloo
    CMT Music
    CNBC World
    Fox College Sports Atlantic
    Fox College Sports Central
    Fox College Sports Pacific
    Logo
    MTV Hits
    mtvU
    TeenNick
    VH1 Classic

Enter your zip code at the Playstation Vue site and make sure you have either Elite or Core selected as the package when you scroll down to the channel list. If you have a monitor with a resolution of 1366x768 you might have to put your browser in full screen mode to see the entire channel list.

Also a list of the markets that have locals available:
    NYC:
    WABC
    WCBS
    WNBC
    WNJU (Telemundo)
    WNYW (Fox)
    WWOR (MyNetworkTV)

Los Angeles:
    KABC
    KCBS
    KCOP (MyNetworkTV)
    KNBC
    KTTV (Fox)
    KVEA (Telemundo)

Chicago:
    WBBM (CBS)
    WFLD (Fox)
    WLS (ABC)
    WMAQ (NBC)
    WPWR (MyNetworkTV)
    WSNS (Telemundo)

Philly:
    KYW (CBS)
    WCAU (NBC)
    WPVI (ABC)
    WTXF (Fox)
    WWSI (Telemundo)

Dallas:
    KDFI (MyNetworkTV)
    KDFW (Fox)
    KTVT (CBS)
    KXAS (NBC)
    KXTX (Telemundo)

San Francisco:
    KGO (ABC)
    KICU
    KNTV (NBC)
    KPIX (CBS)
    KSTS (Telemundo)
    KTVU (Fox)

Miami:
    WFOR (NBC)
    WSCV (Telemundo)
    WSVN (Fox)
    WTVJ (CBS)

1 person likes this.
  14. Mar 18, 2016 #14 of 138
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Thanx, one more question: Can I save series in any way? I do prefer to binge watch some series.

Rich

15. Mar 18, 2016 #15 of 138
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yes you can. You pick a show and make it a favorite and it 'records' all the episodes. Not sure if just new or old and new though. But the longest it keeps that 'recording' is one month according to what I've read.

One thing I found today was that unless I'm brain dead you can't cancel except on a PS3 or 4. Couldn't do it online, in an iOS app or on the FireTV. That's not good.

BTW, after testing with it, I could live with it in spite of the relatively poor UI. But I'm in contract with Dish and am pretty pleased with Dish's offerings overall.

16. Mar 18, 2016 #16 of 138
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That is the one thing that would stop me from signing up. We're still catching up on shows from a year ago.

Rich

17. Mar 18, 2016 #17 of 138
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I'm not quite that bad!! :)

I do have some older stuff but not very much since most of the older stuff is on either Hulu, Amazon or Netflix, all of which I subscribe to so having a recording isn't as important as it once was.

18. Mar 18, 2016 #18 of 138
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    That would be a major issue for some. And it is unclear on their web site.

Not sure if you can cancel via the web site. Something you can check out under 'My Subscription'?

19. Mar 18, 2016 #19 of 138
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I looked there, but it didn't take me anywhere near a 'cancel'.

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk

20. Mar 18, 2016 #20 of 138
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    No "Choose [Modify My Subscription] or [Unsubscribe]" option??? That would be a major oversight if that choice isn't there after the free period!