1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please bring back SiriusXM.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by sorrycharlie, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Oct 5, 2010 #1 of 37
    sorrycharlie

sorrycharlie AllStar

Jul 16, 2010
    Can we please bring back SiriusXM over sonic tap. I would be willing to pay a few extra a month to have these music channels back. Thanks! :)

2. Oct 5, 2010 #2 of 37
    beachmonkey

beachmonkey Legend

Jan 16, 2010
    and have the talking heads yap over the music.. no thank you.

3. Oct 5, 2010 #3 of 37
    ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    I would sign up for that, esp if they put all the music on satellites I can actually get!

4. Oct 5, 2010 #4 of 37
    cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    I have Sirius in my car and the wife's, plus the $2.99 web access add on as well. If we want Sirius at home, we use the iPhone app and plug it into the stereo.

I can understand if DirecTV started their own service to save a few bucks. Sirius/XM is not cheap by all means, and I'd imagine they were going to nickel and dime DirecTV for every subscriber that had access to it. I don't see anything wrong with the Sonic Tap channels. There sure are plenty to choose from, and different styles of music for everybody. I like it.

On Cable you have MusicChoice. That's a great service as well, just not as much variety. Verizon Fios also has some MTV Urge radio channels in addition to MusicChoice. I wouldn't be apposed to an addition of MTV Urge just for a little variety. I doubt we would ever see MusicChoice, as it's owned by a conglomerate of cable companies.

5. Oct 5, 2010 #5 of 37
    Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    I only listen to a very few music channels but IMNSHO they are much better on SonicTap.

6. Oct 5, 2010 #6 of 37
    sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    Mark me down as one that misses Sirius/XM. I have been an XM sub since almost day one, I really enjoyed having the same service in my home as my car. Since the switch we haven't really listened since the switch.

7. Oct 5, 2010 #7 of 37
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I have had satellite radio since a couple months after it first came out and still have XM. That said I prefer the SonicTap channels vs. XM on DirecTV mainly because I don't want to listen to DJ's. If I want to listen to XM in the house I can fire up a PC and listen to it that way.

8. Oct 5, 2010 #8 of 37
    JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm sure the biggest consumers of audio from DirecTV--businesses that need background audio--would rather have SonicTap. I'm willing to bet SonicTap is cheaper than SiriusXM too. With the availability of online streaming, what incentive does DirecTV have to pay that extra money to duplicate what is out there all over the place?

9. Oct 5, 2010 #9 of 37
    dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    +1 :up:

Actually, I like having a totally different choice in multiple places - keeps from getting burned out on a given service...

10. Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Never once even turned on the music channels on Directv for I have a Sirius portable with docks hooked to my home stereo and computer and various other devices and just use that.

If I had my choice I would prefer if Directv just dropped the music channels all together for I really don't see myself ever turning on the tv just to listen to music.

11. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    They take up a minimal amount of bandwidth, and they're used by lots of businesses. And at $40/month, DirecTV isn't going to throw that away.

12. psuscott0483

psuscott0483 Godfather

Apr 16, 2009
    Douglassvill...
    i did enjoy xm's show opie & anthony on directv; but that was removed from directv before xm was

13. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    The sound quality on sonic is overall still bad.

I recorded a video off tv & also the same song off of sonic & the audio quality of the video was so much better than sonic.

14. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I was fed up with AM radio quality Sonic Crap too, so I switched to Dish. Now I've got Sirrius/XM again, and all is right with the world. Even little things like the song info changing when the song does instead of halfway through it are a breath of fresh air. Dish has other issues for sure, but the music channels aren't one of them.

15. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I miss some of the special shows that used to be on XM Radio, such as Moments to Remember on Sounds of the 50's, but XM dropped the show before DirecTV dropped XM.

Actually I now prefer the straight music without DJ interruptions. It's mainly for background listening anyway. If I want serious music listening I fire up my stereo set.

16. BK89

BK89 Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    Sonic sound quality is crap. I barely listen to it now. I used to listen to XM all the time before they went to SonicCrap. The music selection is just terrible on Sonictap. The channels are all over the place - seems like some of the stations arent targeted very well. I used to listen to Liquid Metal on XM all the time - the metal channels on Sonic tap play just awful cheesy music. There may be one good song, then three bad ones and then one that is not even metal or some butt rock like Poison from the 80s. God awful.

17. bcushman

bcushman Mentor/Supporter

Jan 21, 2003
    Urge channels are gone from Verizon FIOS

18. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1

19. kovach

kovach Mentor

Feb 22, 2010
    I've listened to Urge on my brothers Uverse system. They're worse than SonicTap as far as choices of channels and playlists go. And SonicTap is pretty bad when it comes to playlists, how many times do we have to hear "Panic in Detroit" by David Bowie on the Classic Rock channel?

20. shmengie

shmengie Godfather

Apr 12, 2007
    City of Angels
    until you get it right! :p