Please help me recover from an HR54 meltdown

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JerryMeeker, Jul 27, 2019.

1. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I have an HR54-700 with a 4TB Western Digital Purple external drive in an eSATA enclosure. The enclosure has two LED’s, a blue one indicting that the drive is powered on, and a red one indicating drive activity. Current hard drive usage is less than 10% (over 90% free space).

Starting yesterday, I started experiencing intermittent HR54 freezes where the remote becomes completely unresponsive, and the video and audio freezes. When this happens, I notice that the red activity indicator LED on the enclosure is solid red. After several seconds, the DVR in-freezes, audio and video resumes, the remote is responsive, and the red LED indicator is back to normal blinking.

Also, overnight I received several alerts from my network monitor that the HR54 had re-booted. It re-booted again today while I was watching something on my AppleTV.

Troubleshooting:

- I ran the boot-up diagnostics “Full SMART test”, and the test was successful.
    - I checked the drive enclosure, and it was barely warm to the touch.
    - I checked the eSATA connection to make sure it was secure.
    - I ran a CLEARMYBOX.

After all this, still no joy—random unresponsiveness and lockup’s, always associated with a constant red LED drive activity indicator.

Does this look like a drive failure? I could easily swap out the drive for a new one because I don’t have any recordings that can’t be recovered through on-demand. Or does it sound like a HR54 hardware issue? Any advice would be appreciated!

2. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Holy Moses! What does a CLEARMYBOX actually erase? Seems like all my Seasons Passes are gone. I wasn’t expecting this. Meltdown is an understatement.

3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Clearmybox does not delete your season passes but will flush the record list so it needs to repopulate as the guide data restores It clears posters, guide data and plugins

4. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Well, my Series Manager list has zero entries. Perhaps you are mistaken? I don’t suspect the Seasons Passes are going to magically re-appear as the guide data re-populates.

I am still hoping for opinions WRT whether I should swap out my hard drive to address the issue of the DVR freezing up. I don’t want to re-enter Seasons Passes until I know whether to replace the drive.

5. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I am not mistaken. I have run that dozens of times and others here will confirm. if you ran a clearmybox and lost your series then you have issues. your HD may well be failing

I also was not referring to Season Passes restoring I was referring to your upcoming recordings That will clear but will repopulate

6. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Well, all I can report is what I see, and the Series Manager is now empty.

Update on the DVR freezing issue:

I decided to re-boot the DVR after disconnecting the external eSATA drive, which will revert the DVR to its internal drive. After re-booting successfully, the DVR seems to be working normally when using the internal drive. I will probably keep it in this configuration before I purchase a replacement 4TB drive to ensure it is really working properly.

I still don’t understand how the drive could pass the full SMART test if it is indeed faulty.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    All of the timer information is stored on the drive currently in use. If you are using an external drive the timers are stored there. Disconnect the external drive and the timer list is gone (reverting to any list that still exists on the internal drive).

compnurd likes this.
  8. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Well, the Series Manager list was showing as empty before I disconnected the external drive. Of course, nothing is on the internal drive, but the purpose of switching to the internal drive was to see if the external drive was causing the freeze-up issues. So far, the DVR operation with the internal drive has been flawless.

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You did mention that the drive might be failing.

compnurd likes this.
  10. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    winner winner chicken dinner

11. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    So you are suggesting that a failing drive, rather than the CLEARMYBOX, deleted my Series Manager list? Maybe, but I have grown weary of discussing it.

12. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    As stated

All of the timer information is stored on the drive currently in use. If you are using an external drive the timers are stored there.

13. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    You mentioned "overnight I received several alerts from my network monitor that the HR54 had re-booted". If the drive had became unreadable due to a failure it very well could have re-initialized the drive during one of the reboots which would delete all content on the drive. Sounds like an HDD issue and not the HR54.

compnurd likes this.
  14. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I have been running now for approx 24 hours using the original internal drive. I have made a number of recordings, and have been watching quite a bit of live TV. The DVR is performing flawlessly, and the remote has not frozen up. And no spontaneous re-boots. This seems to definitely point to my 4TB Western Digital Purple hard drive as being the cause of my issues. Shame, because it was only 24 months old.

I am about to order a replacement drive over the Internet. For some reason, my local Best Buy has only a consumer-grade 4TB drive, which I don’t want to use, and my local Fry’s hard drive shelves were literally bare yesterday. Of course, there is a chance that it is my external drive enclosure that is faulty, but I don’t know how to test that out without placing a new drive in it.

15. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I've had a lot of HDD's go bad over the years. I've never had an external enclosure go bad but I suppose it is possible.

JerryMeeker and compnurd like this.
  16. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
  17. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Interesting article, and thanks for sharing. I would hope that DTV would somehow notify customers if they roll out a SW update that immediately renders the eSATA drive inoperable. I would hate to be completely functional one day, and dead in the water the next. Regardless, I don’t think this is the root cause of the issues I reported earlier in this thread—the drive was still working, but with intermittent failures.

Two quick questions:

1. What is the capacity of the HR54 internal drive that I am using now? I don’t recall.
    2. With previous generations of DVR’s, I replaced the internal drive with a larger capacity drive. Can the HR54 internal drive be swapped out as well and, if so, is there a thread that discusses the procedure? For owned equipment, of course...

18. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I believe it is 1 TB and the Genie 2 is 2 TB.

JerryMeeker likes this.
  19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    OMG. This is one of my worst nightmares. I finally find something that works well and they are gonna do away with the ability to use it? OMG.

Rich

20. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    1TB drive and you can certainly replace the internal drive in a 54.

Rich