Please help with replacement DVR/Genie hook up

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Ram4x4, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Mar 9, 2016 #1 of 11
    Ram4x4

Ram4x4 New Member

Feb 14, 2016
    PA
    I got a Genie set up a couple years ago when I finally went from SD to HD. They put up a new dish (a bigger, eliptical shaped one) and ran a bunch of cables into the house. In my basement I have a black box labelled as a "SWiM" that has two coax cables hooked to it and it plugs into a wall socket for power. One of the cables runs to a splitter device labelled as a "SWiM-8" and from the splitter two cables go my HR34 Genie. I have three other small boxes in the rooms upstairs that all connect up to this splitter (I think).

The HR34 over the last year or so has gotten incredibly slow to respond to anything. Just bringing up the channel guide can take anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute. Fast forwarding or rewinding recorded shows is a painful experience, often going way past where you want to stop, and sometimes I can't get it to stop at all. Recordings get a lot of pixelation, or noisy pops, and sometimes the recorded show will just freeze for several minutes.

I have tried every "fix" I can find from resetting it, to wiping out all recordings to clear the disk and various things posted here and in other forums to no avail, so I got fed up and called DirecTv. They agreed the HR34 needed to be replaced and I received a new HR44 today, and thus my question:

The HR44 only has a single cable input where the HR34 has two. Do I just plug in one of the cables and it will work?

2. Mar 9, 2016 #2 of 11
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    The HR34 is a SWiM only. You can't have two satellite cables connected to it.

[​IMG]

3. Mar 9, 2016 #3 of 11
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Since the 34 only has one input, have you actually tracked that second coax to see where it goes? How is your Internet tied into your system?

You should just be able to disconnect the 34 and use the same connections to hook up the 44.

4. Mar 9, 2016 #4 of 11
    Ram4x4

Ram4x4 New Member

Feb 14, 2016
    PA
    Indeed, you are correct. My error, the second cable goes to another box that is for wifi I think.

5. Mar 9, 2016 #5 of 11
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    It probably hooks into your internet via your modem/router.

So, is the HR44 working now?

6. Mar 9, 2016 #6 of 11
    Ram4x4

Ram4x4 New Member

Feb 14, 2016
    PA
    No, I've confirmed, the second box is wifi, I forgot about that (I don't have a cat5 in the room, hence that box) and no phone line run to it either.

I haven't hooked up the HR44 yet. I have to watch all my recorded shows first since I can't transfer recordings to the new box.

Does the HR44 need the wifi modem box? I thought I saw where wifi is built into the HR44?

7. Mar 9, 2016 #7 of 11
    NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Yeah the HR44 has built in wifi

Oddly enough the HR34 external wifi may be your issue.
    When the HR34 has internet troubles, it slows down to a crawl.

You will be happy with the HR44 just hope you didn't lose too many recordings.

8. Mar 9, 2016 #8 of 11
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If your second 'wifi box' has that second DIRECTV cable running to it, that is how your HR44 will get internet connectivity.

9. Mar 9, 2016 #9 of 11
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    What is this "WiFi box" specifically?

A DIRECTV CCK-Wireless unit (or "DCCK-W")?

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

10. Ram4x4

Ram4x4 New Member

Feb 14, 2016
    PA
    It's a "Directv Cinema Connection Kit" DCAWR01

Have to have it for on-demand and PPV since I don't have a cat5 hard cable for internet or a phone line in the room to conect to the Genie.

Nothing wrong with my internet connection. The HR34 worked great for about the first year or so and then as they kept pushing software updates, over time it started getting slower and slower. I really think it's the software updates that are killing the box. Just like updates can do to a regular PC.

I know the program that runs everything is supposed to be a purpose created Linux kernal, but I've never tried to hack it or anything (IT is my profession). I just don't know a lot about the technology of the dishes, SWiM, etc.

11. Ram4x4

Ram4x4 New Member

Feb 14, 2016
    PA
    HR44 set up and working. I don't need the Cinema Connection Kit anymore since wifi is built in. It was real easy to hook up and get working.

I don't know if it is the channel guide (might need more time to download), but I swear a couple of channels aren't showing in HD anymore that did previously, or maybe I need to fiddle with the display settings a little more, maybe they wear stretched to fit the screen, I don't recall.

Too bad the power supply isn't internal, I just hate those external power bricks, but that's a minor complaint. The speed of this thing is amazing! It's so nice to actually have things respond when you press a button!