1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with this configuration

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by cktb2793, May 30, 2009.

1. cktb2793

cktb2793 Mentor

Jul 26, 2004
    I'm in the process of setting my mother's new house for both Directv and OTA. She has 2 coaxial cables going to each of 7 different rooms. One in each room will be used for Directv with a 2 SWM-8 setup and the other in each room will be for the OTA.

Here is the setup I'm planning, please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong or need to do anything different.

The 4 wires from the AU9-S-B Five LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line Dish will be connected into SWM-E2 Expander which will be connected to the 2 SWM-8's and SWM-PI power inserter. From there it will go to the 2 SWW-4 splitters and the 7 wires to each room will connect to that.

Next it the OTS....... this is the one I'm wondering if I'm setting up right or not. According to AntennaWeb.org all my mother's OTA channels are in the YELLOW area of both VHF and UHF. I got her the Antennas Direct V21 High Gain UHF / VHF Antenna.

I'm going to have 1 coaxial cable going from the OTA antenna to an Eagle Aspen P-1000-8AP-GX 8-Way Splitter and then from there all 7 wires going to the rooms.

HERE IS WHERE I'M CONFUSED. I know antenna web and the directions for this antenns both say to NOT use an amplifier with this antenna for signals in the yellow area.

HOWEVER, since I'm splitting the one signal wire coming from the antenna SEVEN WAYS .......... do you guys think it will work without some sort of amplifier before the splitter???

If I should use an amplifier, what one would be best since all the signals she needs are in the yellow area? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Your SWM plans look good. you could save a lot of money by just using some two way one leg PP splitters though. About $10 vs $125.

3. cktb2793

cktb2793 Mentor

Jul 26, 2004
    I already bought all the parts, so I'm pretty much stuck with them as it's been over 30 days. Do you think the OTA will work good being split 7 ways without adding any kind of amplifier to it since it's in the yellow zone?

4. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Couldn't tell you, i barely know anything about OTA. On thing though; you're not splitting it 'seven times'. You're splitting it once, seven ways.

5. cktb2793

cktb2793 Mentor

Jul 26, 2004
    Ah ok........ Thanks for that, I'll change it in my original post so it reads right. I don't know a thing about OTA either so that's why I'm confused if I'm setting it up right for that or not. :)

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Your still wrong if using an 8 way splitter you are still splitting it 8 ways even if you only have 7 wires connected. The only way to know for sure is connect 1 line to one digital TV set and see what channels you are getting with what strength. Then connect the same set using the 8 way splitter and see if you lose channels or if signal strength drops a lot. The guess would be you will need an amplifier because less than 1/8th of the signal originally captured will get to each TV but it might still be enough depending on how much above threshold you were originally.:)

7. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Incorrect. By using a standard 8 way splitter, you will get 11db loss at each output, NOT 1/8th the origional slignal.

However this doesn't necessarily man the OP needs to incoporate an amplifier; or if he does what db gain it must adjust for. One thing you did say that holds true is that the origional poster needs to tune the antenan connected to just 1 tv without the splitter "in-line". at that point the splitter along with the length of the longest coaxial runs, type of cable being used, etc, one can come up with the appropriate db gain amplifier for this particular senario. On average I suggest a push/pull bi-directional amplifier. A drop amplifier variety with a phantom power supply is commonly used however channel master and channel vision adjustable attinuation amps are also a viable product that would meet the needs set forth here.

If there are some extremely long coaxial runs, as well as some short ones; one could use the appropriate distribution amp calculated for the longer runs, and simply adjust for the shorter runs with attinuators.

8. cktb2793

cktb2793 Mentor

Jul 26, 2004
    There won't be any extremely long runs. It's all going to be hooked up in the basement in the center below all the rooms. If it does end up needing an amp....... what brand and type would you recommend?

9. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    I tend to stay with channel master or channel vision, or even zuma for drop amps as I mentioned in my previous post for all my installations.

A 15-28db amp is probably what you'll need if your runs are under 60' each using rg6 with copper clad core. Not all 8 way splitters are equal so I'd aalso recommend getting one at least a 1 GHZ (which is required for HD reception) that is DC passive on all ports.

10. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    A good way to approach the OTA is to start with no amplification at all, then add it in as needed. Each situation is pretty unique.

11. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I agree, and IMO, if an amp is needed, I would probably start with 10 or 15 db. That's not a huge system and the runs aren't very long, so most likely you're just going to need to overcome the splitter loss.

But it's always best to start with no amp and see what kind of signal strengths you get. If you're close enough to the towers, you may have plenty of signal without an amp. And you can do as much harm by overdriving the signal as underdriving it.

12. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    As to the SWM-E2, you weren't really clear, but you have to use a separate SWM-PI for each SWM-8. You only mentioned one SWM-PI. You would need two.

Alternately you can use a different 24v (DA22) power supply that plugs into the E2, with jumpers to each SWM8.

Otherwise you're looking good. Having the two-cable prewire avoids most of your problem areas. You probably will need a little amplification for the OTA, just don't use one of those junky amps sold at discount stores or the "shack". Another poster here was absolutely correct in stating that overamplification can be worse than none at all. If you get a real pro amp with adjustable gain you can dial it in just right. Otherwise I would try something in the 12db gain range, which will make up for the splitter loss without overboosting.

Did you also prewire with Cat6 ethernet to each location?

Keith