Please help with wiring new splitters

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by coulsontnt, Jul 13, 2019.

1. coulsontnt

coulsontnt New Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Hello everyone,

To make a long story short, we had a slab leak in the house and decided to do a re-pipe of the entire house which means walls and ceilings are open and that means I can add more drops in the walls in parts of the house that I didn't have access to eight years ago. I've attached a pdf file where the first page is my current wiring. I would like to add two more runs to rooms #5 and #6 in case I want to add Tv's in those locations. I've read enough information on the internet so I THINK I would be okay going with either option depicted in the attached pdf file but I don't want to fry my receivers or Tv's. I've read this could happen if I don't wire things up properly.

1) Could someone please spend a few minutes looking at my pdf file and see if both options are okay/safe?

2) I'm confused how it works with splitters connected to splitters where some of the outputs are capped. For example, with option 1 where I have the original 8-way splitter (4 outputs are capped) and then add on two 2-way splitters, how long can my coaxial be for runs to rooms #5 and #6?

3) Since the power inserter is currently connected properly, if I were to add the two 2-way splitters to run to rooms 5 and 6, it doesn't matter which output (red/yellow) of the 2-way splitter I use?

I rather not wire option 2 but the runs to rooms 5 and 6 would be shorter by about 20 feet.

Thank you for you time.

Attached Files:

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    A few things...

One, I take it the runs for rooms five and six can’t be made back to where the 8 way splitter is?

Two... well if walls are open you could run multiple wires so you could use either option down the road if needed

Three get rid of that 8 way splitter and replace it with a 4 way. You don’t want to split signal that is coming off an 8 way like that in general. And definitely don’t use a four way off an output from an 8 way.

Four... color coding on the splitters for power only matter if power is passing through it for the dish. So if no power is passing towards the dish then it doesn’t matter which output you use on the splitter. So no, it wouldn’t matter on those two ways.

I’d lean towards the first plan myself... should work fine as long as you swap that 8 to a 4 way. You need to cap unused ports hence the caps. But what’s even better is to only use the size splitter you need in the first place.

doctor j and coulsontnt like this.
  3. coulsontnt

coulsontnt New Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Inkahauts,

Thank you so much for your time. To answer you question, runs 5 and 6 can reach the original 8-way splitter but that would mean I'd have two more coaxial cables running along my exterior wall (kind of ugly). I rather have the splitters inside the garage. I will buy a 4-way splitter to replace the 8-way with it.

Thank you again.