1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pole Mount For Dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mluntz, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mluntz

mluntz Icon

Jul 13, 2006
    I definitely do not want my new dish mounted on the roof. I want to do a pole install in the back yard. Is this possible with the standard install from D*, or is it something extra I need to purchase?

Also, what is the diameter of the pole that I need ?

Thanks

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Certianly possible. If it's free or not will depend on the installer company. I can't say for sure if it's supposed to be included or not. My installer was willing to do it at no extra charge if the pole I already had wouldn't work.

2 " OD (*outside* diameter) pole is what is needed. If you already have a 1 5/8th pole in the ground you can get a 2" adapter but I would only recommend that if your pole is really solid in cement in the ground.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    To add: in my case the pole was already there & the cable run was less than 125'. This was still a "standard" install. Burying the cable wouldn't be, so that you would need to do. In my case I'd already buried PVC conduit, so it was just me helping fish the coax through it.

4. jrodfoo

jrodfoo Godfather

Apr 9, 2007
    I think my parents cable is buried from the poll mount in the ground, but not with any pvc, just buried underground, I dont know how good that is, it's only on the side of the wall about 10 feets worth, then up the wall and then into the house. I don't know it will be affected when it rains. I was going to post some pics of the setup and good some reccomendations about grounding as well, I think it needs to be examined.

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Most [all?] coax can be buried without being in a conduit. In my case, I've had to dig it up so many times for: landscaping, adding a cable, etc. that the last time I used conduit so I could make changes without digging up 50' of cable.

6. jrodfoo

jrodfoo Godfather

Apr 9, 2007

Thanks for the info. I'm just always looking for something that could be wrong :)

with that said, I'm not sure if their setup is properly grounded or not. I took some pics but I have to wait to get home from work to make a post about it. wanted to make sure everything is safe for the 'rents.

7. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    My installer's name was Kupniewski. Does that count as a pole mount?

8. Ext 721

Ext 721 Icon

Feb 26, 2007
    typically, if the pole mount is required (won't work anywhere else for line-of-sight reasons) it's included. If it's for other reasons it's usually extra...but putting your own pole up will eliminate that.

Conduit's usually best (with weatherhead-type U bends at either end), but burial is just fine...IF it's to be burial, ask the installer to run 5 cables or 6 to the dish....helpful if one goes bad, and worth the extra few bucks you may be charged. For burial, a nice 8-inch trench is best, cutting turf away first and replacing it after, but the "easy" way about it is to use a driveway-scraper to "wedge" a 6+ inch V-shaped trench and then step on both sides to push the turf and dirt back in place.

9. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    Black POLYETHYLENE PIPE, 100PSI, is better than rigid glued stuff. It is impervious to soil acids, soil movement, gophers, and it is one smooth continuous length on the inside. Either 1" ot 1-1/4" nominal is just fine. It is really cheap at Lowe's; $15-25 for 100 ft.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I used the gray PVC [cheap too], but I do know what you mean about the "one smooth continuos...." part as I fought mine the whole way at each joint. I used 1 1/2 ID as I have my OTA coax in it also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.