1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor Voom experience (so far...)

Discussion in 'VoomTalk.Com (Closed Forum)' started by brewerdude, Jun 11, 2004.

1. brewerdude

brewerdude Mentor

Jun 11, 2004
    Ugh! I was so looking forward to getting this service, but the way things have been going, my excitement is beginning to wane...

When I first signed up on May 18th I was able to choose an install date of May 29th. No biggie, I can wait 10 days for an install. However, a few days later I receive an email from Installs Inc., in which the install date states "Please call installer for appointment." Hmmm. I call the installer and leave a message. They call back a few days later telling me that they don't have the equipment yet, and don't expect it until after my original scheduled install (6/1 or 6/2). They also indicated to me that since it was around Memorial Day, I can expect that to screw the shipping all up. (Nice) They did say once the equipment comes in, they could probably come out right away. I knew I was going out of town on 6/4, so I told them if they don't get it by 6/3, then we'd have to reschedule when I get back.

Turns out I had the afternoon off on 6/3, so I called the installer and left a message saying if by any chance they got the equipment, I'd be around to do the install. No response.

I returned from my trip on 6/9, hoping that by now the install had gotten the equipment, and could possibly schedule the install for this weekend. I called again, left a message. No response.

On 6/10 I left another message for the installer asking them to let me know what I could expect on my install. No response.

On 6/11 I called again and left another message. Again, no response. I figured I had it with the installer, so time to call Voom. Just before calling Voom, I decide to check voom.com for sh*t's and grin's. I coudn't believe what I saw - it indicated that my install is scheduled for 6/19! WTF!!! It takes them month to do a friggen' install?? What's up with that??!!

I then tried calling customer service and was placed on-hold (not surprised at all). What did surprise me was their queue was built so that after a certain time of waiting on-hold, they tell you to press one for call-back. If you don't do that, shortly after that, the system unceremoniously hangs up and tells you to call back. Argh! I wouldn't be so pissed off, except for the fact that I'm a telco guy and I write scripts that control on-hold experiences, and doing that is a big no-no!

If I don't hear from them soon, I'm going to tell them to take a flying fvck at a rolling donut!

:mad: :mad:

2. cpdretired

cpdretired AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 25, 2003
    Did you call this number for customer service 1-800-641-3746? Voom has equipment problems. There is no reason that your installer can't return a call. I ordered Voom on May 15. So far I have two delays. Next date is Jun 30. Forty five days is out of sight. Call Voom CS and complain about your install delay. Be firm with them. I did this and was credited with $50.00 in monthly service. Now I have a credit on something that I can't even get installed.

3. brewerdude

brewerdude Mentor

Jun 11, 2004
    I called the 800-GETVOOM number. I'll try the one you have. Thanks.

4. brewerdude

brewerdude Mentor

Jun 11, 2004
    Finally got through... Seems that they've been swamped since running the informercial last month. They completely cleared their inventory of receivers, and had to go back to Motorola to manufacture more. An explanation makes things a little more palatable, however, they should inform the customer of things like this proactively to reduce customer service issues. They went ahead and credited my first month, which does help too. However, one simple call ahead of time would have reduced quite a bit of heartache. They're not going to last if they have to keep giving out free service to pissed off customers...

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I was scheduled for 6/14, but the installer called the day after my order and asked if he could do me two weeks sooner on 6/1, to which I was happy to agree. He's coming back 6/14 to finish running some add'l RG6 for me. He called again on 6/9 to see if he could return then, but I was out of town escaping the G8 Summit protestor riots that never quite materialized. No mention was made of a shortage of IRDs from the local dealer, Cable Innovations, out of Savannah.

What "heartache"? It's only TV, fer crissake. When you lose your spouse, that's heartache.

I don't believe so. There is nothing we sat geeks like more than a freebie. IMO, that's the way to keep customers.

I'm enjoying the add'l HD channels and I got exactly what I expected. Anythig added such as TNT-HD, "Divine" and "Equator" are icing on the cake. If Voom ever gets HDNet, I may settle on them as my primary DBS provider.

Color me a happy VOOMer! :)

6. bryan27

bryan27 DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru

Apr 1, 2002
    I think my area has equipment laying around. My install took place 4 days after I ordered and the ship date on the box was a month old. He even called the day before to confirm and called at 10:30am asking if he could do my afternoon install early!!!

7. brewerdude

brewerdude Mentor

Jun 11, 2004
    Nice.

8. bryan27

Apr 1, 2002
    I just consider myself lucky. I was waiting to have a horror story to tell too.

There was some problems on the first day. If your receiver doesn't have the new software the unit will be very buggy, requiring a couple soft boots, until the new software downloads overnight.

An ongoing problem is the lack of OTA scanning and the local channel maps. My map has the wrong city, so no locals for me. V* knows the problem. It is noted in my account, but nothing has been done. I have a Zenith OTA STB sitting on the floor so that I can watch the locals. There are so many others with locals that are on the air and receivable missing from the guide it is pathetic. If it isn't in the guide you can't tune it in :(

Try to look at the positive. At least if your install is delayed you either won't have to wait or not wait long for the new, improved, software.

9. Steve66776

Steve66776 Guest

Same trying to get a Dish 921. Seems Dish has the same problems. Too much demand.

10. brewerdude

brewerdude Mentor

Jun 11, 2004
    Well...

I finally got a call from my installer. He told me that he's expecting my Voom equipment tomorrow, and that he wanted to schedule a time to do the install. I informed him that I had a 6/19 install time with Voom. His response: "Well, it would've been nice of Voom to tell us that." Great. Since they're all booked up this weekend, they did put me down for Wednesday.

I'm not sure whether I should call Voom and bitch about the miscommunication, or just be happy that I'm finally getting it installed. I dunno, think I can get another month out of them?

11. bryan27

Apr 1, 2002
    Call, bitch, and try to get a free month :D

12. brewerdude

brewerdude Mentor

Jun 11, 2004
    My Voom finally got installed yesterday, and I can happily report that the install went well. My installer was extremely thorough and did a great job. He didn't use the diplexer that Voom provides because they'd been having problems with them, so he just pulled one from his stock. The only issue we had was getting Voom to perform the activation. Somehow my receiver never got put in their inventory, and it took some extra time for them to straighten it out.

The picture quality is amazing!! I was really impressed with the Equator and the sports channel. I did notice that lots of the content repeats, but I'm sure that will get better over time as more HD programming is produced. The menu interface is a bit clunky, but nothing that can't be overcome.

As of right now, I'm pretty pleased. We'll see how everything goes...

:)

13. ibooksrule

ibooksrule Godfather

Feb 16, 2003
    i remember back in the day when dish first came out they had really bad menu guides too still do really not as bad as the voom but still it was really bad but it has improved. there use to be a canadian satellite company who sold and installed dishes here and there interface was horrible hard to read and very slow at responding and they didnt really have any features to speak of from what i remember. I have to say directv has always had better menu guides and with different companies making the receivers you can choose which one you like the best or which one offers the features you like best. Maybe voom will improve on that area later on and hopefully the content. Id relaly like to see the travel channel in HD i know they are part of the discovery channel but it would still be great to see it in HD kind of like a similcast like tnt. I have to say im quite upset at voom the ota antenna i have is not big enough even though my installer says it is. He said i would have to get on the roof to get my locals and he wouldnt put it up there for whatever reason so after he left i put it up as far as i could get it (im in a townhome and it cant be mounted up on the roof but on the side of the house) so i stuck a 4 ft poll on it and stuck it up past the roof and stil nothing. So i called voom back and asked for a bigger one and they said that my installer said that i wasnt alowed a bigger antenna because it was a waste of money and he wasnt going to do it. That made me mad because i know that i need a different one and he just doesnt want to install it. i talked to a neighbor who is in the same town home complex and he also has a HD tv and he said he ended up having to get a bigger antenna even though the one he had said up to 50 miles it just wasnt picking a few of the channels up so he got a stronger one and he says works just fine now. Any idea of what i can do now or should do?

14. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    You don't say how far a throw it is to your locals. Do your research, then get a hi-gain antenna that is adequate for your needs.

Here's your starting place www.antennaweb.org