Poorly Mounted Dish?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by zeenok, Apr 30, 2019.

1. zeenok

zeenok New Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Howdy, everyone! I don't post much, and I sure don't know much about satellite tv. Question: About a year ago, we had our roof replaced after a hail storm. I called DTV, and they sent a tech. out to re-install and align the dish on the new roof. He set it so that the bottom edge of the dish is only about an inch above the shingles. Since then, it does not take much snow, or even rain, for the dish to lose the signal. Should I call DTV to have them raise the dish, or could it be something else. Thanks for all the info I have learned from this site. I enjoy it lots.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Wet, slushy snow regardless of accumulation will block a satellite signal. Saturated clouds without rainfall will block a satellite signal if they are in your dish's line of sight. Have you checked your satellite signal strength? If they are low you may need a dish alignment.

zeenok likes this.
  3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    yes, but before, take numbers of signals [making pictures would be easiest way to do that] during bad weather

zeenok likes this.
  4. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Sounds like he used a stubby mast. I'd make them come back out and use a standard mast. Also if you lose signal in normal rain the dish likely needs realigning anyways.

zeenok likes this.
  5. May 3, 2019 #5 of 12
    zeenok

zeenok New Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Thanks for your replies. I'll take some readings and consider having them use a standard mast. I know the old mast was longer, maybe 8 or 9 inches above the shingles. I was able to hose off the snow (sticky, wet Spring snow) and the signal came right back. Thanks again.

6. May 4, 2019 #6 of 12
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Make it as evidence - create pictures from TV screen with SS of all sats with date/time stamps

7. May 4, 2019 #7 of 12
    west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    A stubby mount works exactly the same as a standard mount when installed correctly. Not sure why you would insist someone come back out to change the length of the mount.

frogg likes this.
  8. May 5, 2019 #8 of 12
    makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Standard mount gets the dish further off the roof. He's indicated that clearing off heavy wet snow made a difference for him. If his line of sight barely clears the roof, I can see that a slightly higher dish may give him more leeway before the the amount of buildup on the roof starts blocking line of sight.

9. May 5, 2019 #9 of 12
    studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Look at the post where he says it's too low and snow interferes with the signals.

10. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    He would have to have 2ft or more of snow on the roof to interfere with a stubby mount. Stubby mounts are not supposed to be installed in snow areas unless the southern view is pointing away from the roof. So if south is toward the roof its not installed correctly.

11. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    From post #1: "He set it so that the bottom edge of the dish is only about an inch above the shingles."

That tells me it's installed into the roof pitch, rather than away from it.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    with the TS ambiguous phase I wouldn't be so sure... 50/50