1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pop up PPV ads on commercial system

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by besel53, Jul 11, 2018 at 2:43 PM.

Tags:
  1. besel53

besel53 New Member

Wednesday
    Hi all. New here. I used to install dish systems years ago, but have progressed to an Electronics Tech at a State Facility where we have a rack system with 70 HR25's set up for distribution to all of our buildings.
    Here's my issue: On a couple of the channels, I have an issue with PPV ads related to the channel popping up during the regular program. (Not talking about in the guide here, talking about when just watching the programs) When the ad pops up for the PPV, since no one has control over the receiver to hit cancel (or buy), the screensaver eventually comes on and we lose picture distribution wise. Is there some way to stop these pop-ups from happening? It seems to happen most on Food network. It is a huge PITA, because I have to drive over to a different building, go through security, and get to the equipment room just to clear the pop up. Any ideas? We have HD receivers, but are not subscribed to HD, just SD since it is going out on old analog channel mods. We have worked with our Commercial provider, and they can not figure it our, nor the tech that they have sent a few times. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If it isn't too difficult, try swapping receivers between one that has the problem (i.e. the one on the Food Network) and one where you never see the problem. That will tell you if it is related to the receiver itself, or the channel that is being watched.

If it is the receiver itself, the path of least resistance might be getting Directv to swap out the ones you see this on. It wouldn't be a hardware problem, but there could be something screwy with the software that got loaded on them or with their access cards.

If it is the channel itself (i.e. when you swap receivers the problem continues to happen with Food Network but no longer happens with the former Food Network receiver) then it is may be something on Directv's end. I have a commercial account, but we never have the Food Network on...

besel53 likes this.
  3. besel53

besel53 New Member

Wednesday
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot when I have time to go over and do that. Got a million things going on, not sure why I haven't done that yet. Probably since it has a full maintenance contract with a vendor for the system. Kind of getting the run around from them on it.