Popping/tapping noise HR 44?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ron mexico75, Jan 13, 2019.

1. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Just recently noticed over the past couple of days that when I’m watching TV there’s like a tick, tick, tick or constant popping sound. I have a speaker bar and thought perhaps there is something wrong with it or I blew a speaker or something was wrong.

However when I play music through my AppleTV streamed over my phone the sound is not there so it was just making me really confused. Ended up muting the sound bar and turning on the TV speakers while watching DIRECTV. Wouldn’t you know that tapping/popping sound is coming through the TV speakers as well!! What in the world could this be?

Kind of glad it’s not my $750 speaker bar. Granted it is 5 1/2 years old and I was trying to take the whole thing apart and was getting really frustrated. Started troubleshooting more and said let me try a different source through the speaker bar. That’s when I came to the realization that it’s the DIRECTV sound since it’s coming through the TV as well.

Anyone else experiencing this or have an idea what it could be?

I know a couple weeks ago I posted here very upset because while watching a couple local channels that was pixelation/sound issues. While watching football games it would cut in and out every couple of minutes for a few seconds as if there was a heavy thunderstorm or High wind except the weather was fine. That seems to have totally gone away now by itself!

I’m wondering if the sound issue is something similar?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Try resetting the HR44 and see if that helps. If not, you probably need a tech and replace it.

3. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Well didn’t think I would get this fixed by myself without some of you guys posting here.

Right after I posted it I went into settings then over to audio, then to Dolby on or Dolby off. Dolby was set to the off position. I switched it to on and I don’t hear popping anymore. How crazy is that?

jimmie57 likes this.
  4. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Sorry man just saw your post. I must’ve posted before yours came through.

5. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Only thing I noticed now is whenever you pause fast forward or hit play, right afterwords, there’s a loud chirping/static noise when you have the Dolby on.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you have one, try changing the HDMI that connects to the TV.

7. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    I would like to do that BUT............had a custom install done where it’s fished through the wall down under the house then back up above the baseboard to an HDMI multi switch.

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Ouch.
    Can you just leave that one in place and run a separate one from the receiver to the TV just long enough to test it. That way you can just plug the original one back in.
    In fact, sometimes unplugging and replugging helps the contact and helps the problem, if it is an HDMI connection problem.

9. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Good idea......yes that’s possible. Just need to get an HDMI cable that’s about 6-8 feet.

That would at least rule out the cable. I’ll try unplugging it later/tomorrow. NFL playoffs on today.