1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Port forward or connection sharing?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by the_dudeman, Apr 10, 2009.

1. the_dudeman

the_dudeman Legend

Jun 18, 2008
    Hello all,

I moved and would have to run about 100ft of cat 5 to get my HR21 on the net. However, I have an HTPC next to my entertainment center that is connected to my router wirelessly. The HTPC has a free ethernet port.

What would I need to do to use the HTPC to connect to the HR21 to allow the HR21 to use this free ethernet port to connect to the internet?

A guy at work suggested port forwarding, but in this case I'm not sure that is the right approach.

Thanks for any help,

dudeman

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm moving this to the HD DVR forum.

Sounds to me that you need a 4-port switch at the entertainment center. I don't generally recommend internet connection sharing.

3. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Ya, use a switch, I used it as forwarding from the HR to the Xbox origianally and it was not a good connection at all.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'm guessing that enabling Internet Connection Sharing and/or bridging on the HTPC will get you part way but you won't be able to access the HR21 from other machines as it will likely be assigned a different address space. Setting up multiple NICs to the same subnet is generally reserved for servers. Routing may need to be manually configured to insure that the HTPC doesn't try to access the LAN via the hardwire port.

In the grand scheme, it may be safer to set up an external bridge as Stuart points out.

What kind of wireless device is being used on the HTPC?

5. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    A switch won't work if the wireless connection is through a wireless NIC or USB adapter.

6. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    I would run the Cat 5 cable and hang a switch off the end at the entertainment center. More equipment is coming in at the house that will be looking for that network connection. I have an 8 port switch at the entertainment console and it is getting filled up due to the TV, Wii, Blue Ray, HR21-200, and H21-200.

7. the_dudeman

the_dudeman Legend

Jun 18, 2008
    Well as I explained, I don't want to run a bunch of CAT5 throught the house, or are you saying to put a switch off of the HTPC? I already have a switch I could run from my router but to get it out to the entertainment center would again require much cable.

Why don't you recommend Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)?

Don't really care about accessing HR21 from other PCs, just want to get HR21 on the net so I can program recordings from work.

I'm using USB wireless adapter.

Yes it is USB wireless adapter.

Thanks guys for the replies. So what's the best option here? Also, I would probably need a crossover cable to go from HTPC to HR21, correct?

dudeman

8. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You don't need an Internet connection to use remote programming. DIRECTV's remote programming system is a one-way affair that sends signals via satellite to your receiver.

You need the Internet only for VOD and maybe in lieu of a phone line for ordering PPV.

It is usually better to start out by stating your goal rather than to pick away at how you think it my be achieved.

9. the_dudeman

the_dudeman Legend

Jun 18, 2008
    Oh yes, a switch at the ent. center would be best, but again, it would require 100ft of cable and I would have to go under the carpet in front of 3 doors to get it out there.

dudeman

10. the_dudeman

the_dudeman Legend

Jun 18, 2008
    AAAAHHHHHH, then nevermind. I thought I needed internet for remote programming. Does VOD require a fast connection? I ask because I have netflix and have tried to "watch instantly" movies and they look like total crap. I get 2.6 megabits down, but netflix only detects my connection as 3 bars, where my buddy with cable gets 4, but he says it looks....ok...not great. But VOD is actually recording isn't it? So possibly I could just let the whole thing record then watch when it's done and connection speed wouldn't matter then...yes?

If yes, then I would still like to hook to the net...for VOD. If fast connection is needed....nevermind...because if I can program remotely without the net on HR21....i'm good to go. I never do PPV.

dudeman

11. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
  12. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    If that's all you want to do then you're done. Remote scheduling does not use the internet connection to the DVR, the recording requests are put out in the satellite data stream.

There are other reasons though for networking the box, like getting access for DirecTV on Demand and Media Share so ou can access some media (like MPEG2/MP3's) from your PC. If you have a NetFlix account you can get the PlayOn software for your PC and be able to stream Netflix movies via the HR21 and PC.

You can always try the ICS solution to see how well it works for you. IIRC others haven't reported much luck with it. Alternatives besides the 100ft of wire is a WGA600N wireless adapter on the HR21 which has native support for it, or powerline adapters. If you want to try that route I'd recommend getting them from somewhere that you can return them to in case they don't provide the bandwidth that you'd want there.

13. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    Yes, you can just let the download complete on the VOD download and watch it later. I use NetFlix instant watch movies on my TV as well but it took running the hardwire to the entertainment area. Wireless just would not cut it.

14. the_dudeman

the_dudeman Legend

Jun 18, 2008
    In a post above I mention that the netflix stuff looks crummy, so I'm not sure about that.

But this WGA600N wireless adapter, looks very intersting and my be just the ticket. So you're saying this will work with HR21? Are there many steps to getting it to work or is it kind of plug and play?

dudeman

15. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I know that PlayOn recommends that the PC that you put the client on be wired, not wireless and you should have at least a 2Mbps connection to your ISP besides processor/memory/disk requirements. I'm in good shape on all those and the stuff I've watched isn't bad, not DVD quality but about what a standard def DBS channel looks like.

The HR21/WGA600N is close to plug and play. When you plug it into the HR21 in a couple minutes a popup should appear walking you through the steps to configure it if you are using any security on the wireless router. Once that's done you're ready to go.

16. the_dudeman

the_dudeman Legend

Jun 18, 2008
    Yes it funny you say wireless wouldn't cut it because it seems in my case, before I moved I had HTPC wired, and that didn't cut it either. I should have said that in my above post where I talk about the 3 bars and all. It looked terrible...totally unwatchable. I'm getting 2.5 megabits on my wireless coneection now, but that's the same speed I got wired before I moved, so again, I doubt it will be worth watching, but haven't tried here at new house and on wireless.

dudeman

17. the_dudeman

the_dudeman Legend

Jun 18, 2008

How does the VOD stuff look compared to netflix? If it's better, then I will want to get the HR21 on the net regardless of not needing the net for remote programming.

dudeman

18. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The VoD stuff will look as good as whatever DirecTV has on their server. Since it's downloaded and not in realtime a slow connection will just mean that it takes longer to get onto your harddrive.

19. the_dudeman

the_dudeman Legend

Jun 18, 2008
    And can you talk about speeds on the WGA600N? Oh also, my router in B/G....not N. Will it still work?

dudeman

20. the_dudeman

the_dudeman Legend

Jun 18, 2008
    Nevermind...I see it's B/G/N compatable....sorry. But how are speeds?

dudeman