Portable Dish Set Up

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Culchie, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Culchie

Culchie New Member

Apr 24, 2018
    Hi guys. Let me ask, if you were wanting to have a no frills portable HD set up to take along camping, what are the components you would need and choose ( Dish, LNB, Receiver etc...) ?? Thanks.

Culchie

2. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    The best answer is to replicate your ‘home’ setup so no major resets of equipment setup on moving.
    All kinds of answers regarding best, easiest, cheapest and on and on.
    If you ,as most, plan on using a ‘home receiver’ occasionally at another place, then repeat ! Replicate the home setup and get whatever equipment you need to setup and aim that ‘portable’ equipment. NO OTHER ANSWER IS CORRECT

Doctor j

3. Culchie

Culchie New Member

Apr 24, 2018

So if I have a "whole home DVR" set up, what all do I need to take from my home to make it work ? Just a regular Slimline dish with the same lnb as I have now, a receiver from home and a regular power cord ?

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Press the dash ( - ) button on your remote. Tell us what it says. It should be SWM detected or SWM Not detected.
    This will help a bunch on determining what you need.

Also, what model of receiver are you thinking about / have to take with you ?

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    if you have multi-RV setup, why not ?!
    Or your RV is so big and have many rooms with own TV and your people like to watch different programs ...
    Get 3 LNBF slim dish SWiM kind, a splitter (if you do carrying more then one H/HR - not sure if you like clients ), tripod for the dish and get a bunch coax cables for other RVs ;)

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I must have missed the reference to "RV".

7. Culchie

Culchie New Member

Apr 24, 2018
    We don't have a big RV, just a pop-up we ran the cable inside. I have a tripod. Don't know if it will work with a different dish or not. Might have to find a dish that comes with one. It says Swim is connected and the receiver is a H25-700.

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You need a Slimline dish with a SWM LNB3,
    a power inserter ( 21 or 29 volts will work ).

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    a tripod is mechanical part... if you can mechanically install your dish to it, it will works

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The first one shows in the pics that it has a Power Inserter. The second one does not specifically say and does not show a pic of the Power Inserter. And the second one is more money. The seller of the first one has 100% positive feedback.