1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Portable" receiver question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by EricJRW, May 26, 2009.

1. EricJRW

EricJRW Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    Keller, TX
    I've seen this subject come up before, but never really paid attention because I did not think it would happen to me, but that has changed...

Let's say I'm going to hang out a lake house or something that is not in terrestrial antenna range of anything...

Can I add a second receiver to my home package and, with my old SD dish, bring a receiver with me?

I think the money to DirecTV is minimal, about $5 as I recall, but what's the most economical way to get a second small, inexpensive, SD only receiver?

I have my old (owned) Samsung SIT-TS360 (but I'm not sure where the access card is), and this thing is kinda big, and it's phone line only... So I think something smaller would be better.

And I was wondering if the receiver had an Ethernet port and Internet access if that could be used for PPV (or does DTV look at the WAN IP)? I don't think I'll have a land-line, but there might be a way to get Internet.

Would any of this this lock me into another contract? That might not be bad if it means a free receiver for my portable application, but if the cost is minimal, I'd prefer to not get locked back in.

So what are my options? Is this feasible?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Eric

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Your Terms of Service (TOS) with DirecTV prevents you from having receivers at multiple locations.

3. EricJRW

EricJRW Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    Keller, TX
    I thought there was some provision for tailgating, "camping", motor homes, etc.? At least I know I've seen this come up before. I'm not looking for a permanent non-home install, just a way to use what I'm paying for in another location (not even both places at the same time) for a while... If it's against the ToS, so be it... But the concept has come up before.

4. dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    The TOS does not physicaly stop it.

5. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    DADT.

google it if you need to.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The provisions regarding tailgating are covered in the following texts from the Customer Agreement:

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Which makes it OK to violate the TOS?

8. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    True.

So, many have setup a dish at a vacation home and then use a receiver there. This receiver would be on your home account. Don't connect a phone line. For PPV use the DirecTV website for ordering. BTW, I never said this. :)

9. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Don't take it across state lines:)

10. EricJRW

EricJRW Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    Keller, TX
    Thank you all for helping me to understand this fully.

11. josetann

josetann Legend

Oct 2, 2006
    Assuming you'll have high-speed internet at your house and at your other location, you might look into using a slingbox type device (personally I use Hava, mainly because it was cheaper). You'll need a decent upload speed at home (1mb/s or so upload should be sufficient, though less might be ok), and the same for your download speed at your temp location. You can watch the receiver remotely, and can even control it like you were at home with the remote. Using a dvr might be a bit frustrating as there is some lag, but does work.

The one main problem with this is, what if your receiver/slingbox/internet router/etc. locks up and needs to be reset? You can use regular timers for them, but I'd recommend not power cycling a dvr unless necessary. Personally I use a power strip that I can control online. If anything locks up, just power cycle it (the same as pulling the plug and plugging back in). As far as internet router, a timer would be fine (or the remote power strip could be set to reboot at a set time, and whenever you're able to log in just push that back a day). If you're just going to be gone for a few days this is probably a bit excessive, but I plan on being gone 3-6 months at a time.

12. EricJRW

EricJRW Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    Keller, TX
    Interesting ideas. Thank you.