Possible Dish-DirecTV Merger?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Chihuahua, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Chihuahua

Chihuahua Legend

Sep 8, 2007
  2. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
  3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Non-starter.

4. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    How has the Sirius XM combo worked out? Everyone enjoying those lower bills and combing two different satellite network receivers into one radio? All promises for approval.

How did the Kmart/Sears combo work out?

And Apollo Global Mgmt who is behind this deal owns 85% of ADT Security. Since Apollo grabbed ADT in 2014, its been losing customers and value. ADT sold off its Canada Operations last week.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I'd pretty much agree, but there might be a VERY SMALL chance of a merger if they shrink down in # of customers such that the market could only support one of them...

6. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My opinion was focused on this specific rumored offer. The potential of DISH and DIRECTV becoming one company a decade (or more) from now has been previously discussed. The whole issue seems to be a fan fantasy trying to reverse the purchase of DIRECTV by AT&T. One of those fantasies that when someone points out all of the fallacies in the logic gets doubled down with an even more unlikely scenario.

The biggest flaw in the Apollo plan is understanding that the #1 stockholder of DISH network has no interest in getting out of the satellite business nor does he want to relinquish control of the company he has owned since Day Zero. DISH isn't a company that has passed from owner to owner as an investment.

Newshawk, Michael P and mwdxer like this.
  7. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    I suspect Charlie could be interested in the Apollo financed deal ONLY if Dish became the majority owner of the new company.

Newshawk and scooper like this.
  8. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    There could be a merger, but I do not see how Charlie would give up his love (Dish). He sure doesn't need the money. But I can see AT&T selling Direct and Dish will control it.

Newshawk, Michael P and scooper like this.
  9. BobCulp

BobCulp Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Colorado...
  10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH and DIRECTV have separate satellite fleets - even at locations where both have a satellite (110 and 119) they operate separate satellites.
    The satellites could be configured to be compatible with each other. DIRECTV would need to dump DSS for DISH receivers to receive programming, DISH would need to dump "Turbo" 8PSK for DIRECTV receivers to receive programming. The biggest challenge would be changing out dishes since each company aims at different orbital locations.

I would not expect either company's receiver to become "the" receiver any time soon after a merger. There is no need to rush any current receivers out of the marketplace.

11. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I cannot see Charlie giving up Dish. If anything I see Dish running Direct TV.