1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Dish Dispute: Belo Corporation (Resolved)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by James Long, Oct 18, 2010.

1. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH vs Belo ...
    Mapdowns are one channel off (where space is available) ... similar to the still unavailable "TP55" Fox O&O related channels.

8259 (23) Austin, TX - (24 KVUE ABC)
    7139 (8) Boise, ID - (7 KTVB NBC)
    8658 (35) Charlotte, NC - (36 WCNC NBC)
    8415 (7) Dallas, TX - (8 WFAA NBC)
    8383 (10) Houston, TX - (11 KHOU CBS)
    9104 (10) Lousiville, KY - (11 WHAS ABC)
    7687 (3) New Orleans, LA - (4 WWL CBS)
    7699 (53) New Orleans, LA - (54 WUPL MYTV)
    7299 (12) Norfolk, VA - (13 WVEC ABC)
    8333 (2) Phoenix, AZ - (3 KTVK CW)
    8334 (60) Phoenix, AZ - (61 KASW CW)
    8677 (7) Portland, OR - (8 KGW NBC)
    8483 (6) San Antonio, TX - (5 KENS CBS)
    8619 (6) Seattle, WA - (5 KING NBC)
    8625 (15) Seattle, WA - (16 KONG)
    9169 (5) Spokane, WA - (2 KREM CBS)
    9175 (21) Spokane, WA - (22 WKSN CW)
    8595 (3) St Louis, MO - (4 KMOV CBS)
    8960 (10) Tucson, AZ - (11 KMSB Fox)
    8961 (17) Tucson, AZ - (18 KTTU MYTV)
    8805 (37) Twin Falls, ID - (38 KTFT NBC)

2. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    well i hope WFAA and the rest of the Belo owned stations aren't going into a dispute, cause if it does happen, it's gonna be a triple wammy for DFW area dish customers as not only do we lose FSN Southwest, KDFW & KDFI on Nov 1st, we'll lose 8 too soon. and it seems right that dish might be getting into a dispute with Belo soon as when a while back that Time Warner was almost in a dispute with Belo to carry the Belo O&O stations, they ran ads on WFAA about it and on the switch provider options, Dish wasn't listed, only U-Verse, Fios, and DirecTV,

3. levibluewa

levibluewa Icon

Aug 13, 2005
    WA, OR, CA
    My recollection might be a little fuzzy, but I think the last go-around with Belo & DISH, Belo wanted DISH to add NWCN (Northwest Cable News) to the Seattle-Spokane-Portland locals.

4. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    did they ever do it at all, if so, i wonder if they want Dish to add TXCN too, since Belo also owns it, i woundn't mind seeing TXCN on satellite as the only ones who carry TXCN in TX is all of the cable companies, Dish and DirecTV doesn't carry it, i don't know about Uverse or Fios.

5. levibluewa

levibluewa Icon

Aug 13, 2005
    WA, OR, CA
    No they didn't. But I wouldn't be surprised if it came up again. As I recall, they didn't add it because it was considered a "cable" channel. After the 6 month absence of the Fisher stations I'm not sure how this will go over with subs in the Spokane-Seattle-Portland markets. It could be a lot worse for DISH than losing FX, and the RSNs.

6. JackBauer112

JackBauer112 Mentor

Aug 15, 2010
  7. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You're late...Date of article: Tuesday, September 21, 2010

8. grog

grog Godfather

Jul 2, 2007
  9. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Ah, well, that's the potential for "other shoes" for Charlie. It's great that Fox pulled their broadcast stations from Cablevision two weeks before possibly pulling them from Dish. It puts Fox in a bad light.

But if another owner of a group of stations uses it to attempt to leverage a contract with Dish and Charlie doesn't blink, then he'll look like a bad guy.

Belo is not News Corp, of course. They don't really have a Rupert Murdoch type personality to challenge Charlie on a personal level. And looking at their last quarterly, they seem to be gaining ground financially. So maybe they'll be able to work it out.

A lot depends on Belo's affiliate contract provisions recently negotiated with CBS, I suppose. Dish probably could give ground on some of those news channels depending on transponder space.

10. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Isn't DIGITAL OTA wonderful, no contracts to worry about.

11. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Losing KREM will be a issue for those in Spokane. Most will remember how long KAYU was off of Comcast in 2005 for the entire football season though, so the area is used to this kind of battles.
    It would be nice to get NWCN, but the CN does stand for Cable News. Granted I would rather see KHQ's sub channel SWX(Sports and Weather Right Now) to be carried 1st, on Dish. Can pick it up via OTA, but its signal is weak were I am at. In CDA

KHQ has been working hard on a campaign to get all carriers to carry SWX.

12. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Yeah, for those who can mount a big antenna and get reception. Not everyone can.

13. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Golly gee, I've started the permit process for my 800' tower, haven't you?:D

14. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    :lol: Yea, I'm going to roll my wheelchair on my roof & install my antenna this week. I'd have my dear 61 year old Mom do it, but she broke her toe this week. ;)

15. CopyChief

CopyChief Legend

Jan 17, 2005
    When does the Belo contract expire?

This is getting to be too much. I was not that upset by the loss of FSN Midwest. Should the Fox network go away, I'd be a little more upset. But if our CBS channel goes away, I'll be truly ticked off. It's the cumulative effect, really, not due to the value of any one station. I know I could probably get CBS and FOX OTA. But I don't have an antenna and was recently laid off from my job, so spending extra money on TV, something I'm paying for already, is not in the cards. Unfortunately the lack of decent income at this point probably would prevent me from being able to switch to another provider, too.

I'm perfectly willing to side with Dish on isolated issues... But as these conflicts pile up, I'm losing confidence. I'm otherwise a satisfied, even happy, customer. Quite annoying,

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The article in the thread above gives a date for Time Warner vs Belo ... I have not seen a date on the expiration of the contract with DISH ... although with the temporary channels added I'd guess within a couple of weeks.

17. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Krem 2 in Spokane, a Belo company, hasn't said anything about the potential issue. Sent a email to them today, no response as of yet, and on there site, which they keep up to date on issues like this, there is nothing on it.

18. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I'll let you borrow my power chair to get up there bud!

19. allargon

allargon Legend

May 2, 2007
    Glad I have an OTA module and indoor antenna on my 722k (plus another tabletop antenna on my 211). I won't miss a beat.

It would be something to lose my local Fox and ABC affiliates at the same time. :nono2:

Considering Dish doesn't carry my local PBS, CW or Univision station in HD, I'm surprise more folks don't do OTA. There's also that HD-lite avoidance when going OTA.

20. Joe Diver

Joe Diver AllStar

Oct 12, 2006
    It's one thing for fans to lose RSN's for NHL hockey.

It'll be worse when the NBA cranks up.

It'll be really bad if the Fox locals go away, with the World Series and NFL games.

But none of that will even come close if the Belo affiliates (ABC ones) go away. When those countless numbers of women cannot watch General Hospital....the fan will be utterly destroyed by some much stuff hitting it....