1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Genie upgrade - questions about SWiM

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Pepe Sylvia, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia Legend

May 10, 2010
    I got an offer to upgrade to the Genie, but I haven't decided yet. The current dish is Slimline-3 dual LNB (4 coax from dish). Would they (or be able to) upgrade just the LNB and multiswitch without putting up a new dish?

Also, would Directv's SD boxes work ok with the SWiM setup? (Directv D12 models, I think.) The dish is on a 2-family house with separate accounts, but they only have and need / want SD.

Finally, do they try to push you onto the Genie / Genie client setup? I lke the idea of watching from multiple rooms, but if you lose the Genie box, then you won't have any TV. (currently multiple HD-DVRs w/o whole-home)

2. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes, the D12 STB and R16 SD DVR are both SWiM compatible.

No, if you want the Genie with extra DVRs, DIRECTV shouldn't pressure you to accept the RVU client option. Just be advised you have room for only one additional DVR and a receiver beyond the Genie in this installation.

3. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    The dish is the same though the LNB may be changed depending on how many tuners you plan to have. The SWM LNB has a built in SWM-8. If you end up with more tuners than 8, the LNB will not be changed and you will be installed with a SWM-16 which is an external SWM. D12's work with the SWM. It's up to you if you want the Genie/client setup or want to keep your existing equipment (assuming SWM capable) and including the Genie into your current setup.

4. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Sharing a dish was fine back in the days, but now with WHDVR and SWM it can get very complicated. Why not each account with its own dish?

5. Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia Legend

May 10, 2010
    Thanks for all your help guys (or ladies). It seems like it's actually a lot easier than I was expecting.

I already had the dish installed while they had cable. They signed up as a referral. When the tech came out he just plugged into the 8 output multiswitch, mostly for convenience, I guess. I didn't have any problem with it because I already had used 6 outputs (3x2), and didn't foresee ever needing more.

6. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Peds makes a good point. Some techs won't even touch it if it could be considered MDU for future reference.

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    what receivers do you have now and what do you want to move to exactly? Same for the account next door. It can likely still be done but may require a little more planing than just separating the two outputs as you are possibly talking about making the neighbor upgrade as well and or creating a hybrid system (which would frighten most installers) if you have the right multi switch and you may require a swim16 just to get enough tuners for you if you are going to have more than 8 total tuners on your account.

8. Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia Legend

May 10, 2010
    So, I got the upgrade and so far so good. I got the HR34 genie, but it seems fine by me. The other account's receivers were plugged into the legacy ports, so I was able to utilize SWM on mine only.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Excellent! Thanks for the update!

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Awesome. Glad all worked out for you