POSSIBLE Lockup Solution-the eSATA!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by NorfolkBruh, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorfolkBruh

NorfolkBruh Legend

Jun 9, 2007
    Interesting situation... I tried unplugging the HR20-700 in the den. No love. I did an RBR. No love... then I DISCONNECTED MY eSATA DRIVE! and the unit is restarting!

I have all the prioritizer and season pass's (whatever!) and all recordings.

Next step... I held in the red button and reconnected my eSATA, released the red button surprise surprise... everything came back up.

Now... before the flaming... this solution worked for me. I have a 1TB SimpleTech eSATA drive. The units without an external drive are still dead.

PEACE!

Norfolk

2. ziggy29

ziggy29 Icon

Nov 18, 2004
    Portland DMA
    Something like 85% of the users have reported the lockup.

I doubt anywhere near 85% is using the eSATA port.

3. McCoyRJ

McCoyRJ AllStar

May 21, 2007
    No eSATA on my unit, and I'm getting the same results. System locks up if I turn it off, and the RBR reboots a minute or two after it's pressed.

Nice try though.

4. NorfolkBruh

NorfolkBruh Legend

Jun 9, 2007
    Like I said... worked for me...

I tried the RBR and it stayed dead. Then I unplugged and replugged and dead daid DEAD! Then did the above and it worked. Again... the other 2 units are STILL down for the count. RBR nor unplug/replug are resuscitating them!

This is an option the eSATA users can try and see if it works for them.

Norfolk

5. GBFAN

GBFAN Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    You may need to try holding in the power button on the other units. My 21-700 had to do this after the unplug and then it came to life.

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Had six out of seven 20/21s, with eSATAs, down this morning. Pulled the plug on them one after the other. Went back to the beginning and plugged them in one after the other and they all came back up.

Sometimes these DVRs do not reboot for what seems like an awfully long time. No lights, nothing but the spinning hard drive. Just let them sit and eventually (about 30 seconds or so) the circle will start spinning. Usually, the eSATA will recognize the HR and will become the active hard drive. There are times that you have to unplug the HR and either pull the plug or turn the on/off switch off on the eSATA. After about a minute or a little less, you plug in or switch on the eSATA and then plug in the HR. You will get the proper eSATA usage.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.